Swedish Army Surplus M90 Parka and Trousers - Good Gear for Arctic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loubylou

Jun 9, 2010
Oxfordshire
Try to gather cheapish gear for trip next year - has anyone got experience of using these finthe Arctic and have any comments on using these for outer layers? I'd like to hear comments ont his gear before I commit to buying.

Love to hear any other advice/comments on suitable gear/clothing - I do feel the cold, so really need to be nice and warm without spending too much on gear I will probably never use again.

Thank you!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have these, i brought them for a finland trip later this year, im in the same boat dosh wise. i havent wore them anywhere mega cold yet but i did wear them through out our snowy winter this year and they were fine - if anything a bit warm!

if anything the parka comes up massive so loads of scope for layering underneath - tbh i found it brilliant for sitting around in ( i had a broken leg at the time so couldnt walk far) but when i was sitting in the garden carving or doing anything slightly exercise like i got hot quick. i would prob go for layers then you can remove or add depending on the temps and what your doing. then the parka for when your sitting down for a brew

The trousers imo are excellent, i made mine water-resistant (ish) with some home made greenland wax and they fit well and are comfy and warm. the only thing about them is the tactical green colour though, but i paid about 25 quid inc P+P for both on Ebay so quite cheap i thought

im aiming to use natural type materials for my clothing, cotton windproof outers, wool and fleece layers etc

There is a good thread here about dressign for boreal forests.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50528

sorry thats not much help i know

loubylou

Jun 9, 2010
Oxfordshire
Thanks for that - I was thinking of making mine water resistant like you (if I get them), although apparently its dry cold out there and so I don't think I really have to. I was going to layer with a couple of pairs of woolpower longjohns, and an over pair of trousers. I'm only small, so I think there will be plenty of room inside these for the extra layers.
I've got a price of about £28 for both plus P & P which I dont think is too bad.
I'll also have a look at that link.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
yeah i just put a bit of greenland wax on mine to shed the snow a bit easier in the UK, if you can go and try them on before you buy as they do come up large, massive in facet (tha parkas that is)

the swedish measurements work on weight and height and for the trousers worked perfectly for me but the parka came up huge, it is designed to be worn over a soldiers normal gear though so maybe thats why - im sure someone will clarify that

edit - this is my thread about making your own greenland wax to save money

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53277

loubylou

Jun 9, 2010
Oxfordshire
Cheers - I've read these come up large, and I'm only small!! I have no choice but to just get the smallest ones they do!! I'll have to make a few mods if they are miles too big.

I've just read the other thread - that was an excellent link thank you. I'll have a look at your recipe now! I even have my own beeswax at home (from my own bees) so I hope it includes beeswax!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE