Swedish Army Stove - removing paint / seasoning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 29, 2013
UK
Hi all,

New member / long time reader. I've just acquired a steel Swedish Army /Trangia Stove, which I believe is the civilian kit (Gense engraved on main pot) and was wondering about getting it ready for a camping trip.

I would like to remove the paint because I have doubts about the safety of the old paint, but after googling around am left even more baffled by the choice of paint strippers / scrubbing tools and am worried this may damage the steel? My question for this is basically would any 'off-the-shelf' paint stripper do, and what would be best to scrub with? I was thinking just a sponge scourer to avoid scratches, but then was also wondering how best to buff it to make it look nice?

Once removed (with your help) I plan on seasoning the pan / pots, and was wondering which oil would be best for this, and should I expect it to change colour / look patina? I've read that Flax oil gives a good bond, and peanut oil can handle high temperatures better, but was wondering if these work well with the stove (I'm guessing this is a pros v cons / open answer thing, but wanted to check if there needs be any special consideration for this stove)? Also, would it be best done on the kitchen stove or in the oven?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I have an oval shaped, stainless steel Swedish Army Trangia (one of my first purchases from one of the members of BCUK)....Note the pots are stainless (with mild steel handles on mine) and an aluminium windshield.

I just used Nitromors stripper with a green scourer and elbow grease; worked fine. The pot soon blackens up with the meths burners though.

Can't give any advice regarding seasoning though; making tea and warming food is about my limit.................

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
I stripped the nasty grey paint off my stainless one with generic evil gloopy paintstripper and some scrubbing. I dont know anything about seasoning, but I have never had problems with stuff sticking unless it was my fault for not stirring. Burnt on stuff comes off again with a Brillo pad anyway.

A few pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/114171463053197277461/SwedishArmyTrangiaMessKit

And a quick video tip:

[video=youtube;ZZEljp_wyxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZEljp_wyxw[/video]

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I have two: one I stripped with normal paint stripper and, as said above, a good dose of elbow grease. No problems with the steel.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Couldn't see the point of stripping off the paint on mine - been using them for decades and haven't keeled over yet!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Couldn't see the point of stripping off the paint on mine - been using them for decades and haven't keeled over yet!

I have done the same.. used it and left it....just get out and use it... better then spending time in DIY stores worrying about paint..

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I need to do something similar to mine.

I bought my steel one off an auction site as unissued. First time I used it the paint started bubbling on the bottom!!

I'm planning on getting mine sand blasted, as its steel I'm assuming it won't do any harm to it!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why take the easy path when you can make work for yourself...stripping, seasoning.....whatever next; 'can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear' comes to mind. ;)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I've no doubt that Trangia had a purpose in painting the pans, and that they expected them to be used painted, so why bother removing it? Seasoning is really only useful for cast iron cookware,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Trangia did not make the pans!!!!!!!!! Please folks, show some respect to Trangia and stop associating their name with these 'stoves'

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I've no doubt that Trangia had a purpose in painting the pans, and that they expected them to be used painted, so why bother removing it? Seasoning is really only useful for cast iron cookware,

Personally, the rip off seller on Ebay decided to repaint my SAT before shipping it, and quite obviously didnt use heat proof paint as I found out the first time of using it. Perhaps the OP has the same problem?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Personally, the rip off seller on Ebay decided to repaint my SAT before shipping it, and quite obviously didnt use heat proof paint as I found out the first time of using it. Perhaps the OP has the same problem?
stick it on a fire and burn it off if its not heat resistant. Personally, i wouldn't bother as the paint will eventually burn off anyway. Just use it.

Last edited:

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Jacko, thats exactly what id do, build a fire, stick em on and walk away. Polish em up afterwards with a bit of T cut. Come up nice and shiny and if your lucky you might have blue tinges to them caused by the heat which looks ace on stainless i reckon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE