Swedish Army Stove - removing paint / seasoning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Jacko, thats exactly what id do, build a fire, stick em on and walk away. Polish em up afterwards with a bit of T cut. Come up nice and shiny and if your lucky you might have blue tinges to them caused by the heat which looks ace on stainless i reckon.

That actually doesnt sound like a bad idea, do I fill it with water or anything? or just dump it on? I love the way stainless looks too after it gets red hot, like car exhausts!!

Jul 29, 2013
UK
Thanks for all the comments everyone,

I did end up stripping the paint as advised just using generic gel paint remover. It took quite a bit of elbow grease but I feel better about using it now. The reason I wanted it stripped is I'm not confident about the chemicals (lead?) that might be present (don't get me started about the chemicals in the gel !). Even though not on the inside, it would be if I used the pan ontop of the pot.

I also did not bother to season, and agree this is best reserved for iron cookware, the steel on these stoves appears fine to cook on straight away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE