Swedish Army Snow Smock

Wondering if anyone can help here. I have been looking to get hold of a Swedish Army snow smock for a while now and modify it for winter but I have a few questions if anyone could answer for me. :) Also partly inspired by Wayland's recent smock, but starting from scratch may be a bit too much work by hand. :rolleyes:

- I was looking at applying a fur ruff around it but I have no idea where to get real fur in the UK and if there is any legislation on it these days. Anyone got any info on this? Cant seem to search on the word fur on its own on here.

- I haven't done much sewing (other than leather) so was wondering if moding it can be done by hand?

- What other modifications can be applied to it?

- Do many people keep them white? I have seen various threads about dying it with Dylon.

Cheers,
Andy

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
They are easy to mod,

Mine has a fur ruff (Ebay fox or marten not sure, also have enough left for another ruff if you are interested :mad:)) which is press studded on so no sewing

Length the sleve by adding the draw string bottoms off a pair of old green army trousers (easy hand sewing) i also waxed these at the cuffs of my sleaves always seem to get wet in the snow

Added a draw cord to the hem (simply treaded it through, no sewing)

Added a wire to the hood (simply treaded it through, no sewing)

Leather stopper tabs to all the drawcords (no sewing)

And sewed on a leather chest pocket.......

Can add pictures if you like also feel free to PM me if you need any help

Thanks mate.

I have just been reading a couple of threads about the smocks on here and they seem pretty large. Would a medium be ok for a 38-40" chest at 5ft 7"?

Also since they are made of cotton can they be worn say on top of a t-shirt in the summer (Scottish summer when its overcast and windy :p )

How do the press studs go on with the smock & the fur?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
sort o thing i was planning too although i was thinkin of using a british ww2 windproof shirt as a base

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I sold a mink stole on ebay and while doing research I found loads of other fur items for sale there too. That said, it was christmas (last dec). From knowing a little about fur in terms of fashion/design, I would imagine that for a fur trimmed hood there would be plenty of fur on a stole. FYI I sold mine for £45 and there were plenty of others in different forms from £5 - £100

Cheers

Sack

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ruff
2011-06-07213738.jpg

Cuff
2011-06-07213903.jpg

Back of hood showing volume adjuster and press studs for ruff
2011-06-07213843.jpg

Leather pocket
2011-06-07213923.jpg

And on (the ruff is even I had the hood up wonky)
2011-06-07214111.jpg

Hope that is of some help

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
my smock was going to be my winter project last year, still in it's early stages as it got put on hold but am hoping to get some more done in a few weeks. took the arms off as i would like to put on longer arms with bigger under arms as i felt the fitted ones felt a bit peculiar in the pit region. also am hoping to line it in parachute silk type stuff, and fit woolly cuffs. draw cord at the hem also. it should be a beast of a smock, but we shall see. i also dyed with dylon got a very patchy finish, but i think this is common.

i bought mine off ebay and the seller at the time had some german snow trousers of the same vintage that i dyed at the same time, flawless take up of dye and then i made some home made greenland wax and waxed them. the wax is great and i will probably wax the smock also.

good luck with the project.

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am not sure on size, can't remember what mine is think I got a large but I am 6' and about 44 chest

The cotton is a very tight weave and is very wind resistant. The cotton stiffens up like ventile when wet and becomes almost water proof

Hope that helps

Thanks mate.

I have just been reading a couple of threads about the smocks on here and they seem pretty large. Would a medium be ok for a 38-40" chest at 5ft 7"?

Also since they are made of cotton can they be worn say on top of a t-shirt in the summer (Scottish summer when its overcast and windy :p )

How do the press studs go on with the smock & the fur?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I use the jacket all year round around fires etc. (Just pop the ruff off) so green seems much more suitable

All i did to lengthen the sleeve was sew a short (Bottom) section of the leg of a pair of army trousers around the existing cuff.

If you see what i mean

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Well, mother has come to the rescue! My smock has had the treatment! It has had new arms fitted, made from the smocks matching trousers, much wider arm gussets and tailored length, with woolly cuffs fitted, re-dyed forest green, para cord draw string at the hem and a hood retaining strap, also wire in the hood. Absolutely fantastic! She's done a very good job, will post pictures later. Have decided not to line the smock with parachute silk as I already have a para silk top and it would give me more options if it was seperate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE