Swedish Army Mess Kit Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
There seems to have been some confusing on the SAWK so I thought I'd better post a little tutorial. This is how I use it. :wink: This tutorial could especially be useful for newcomers or for those who have just bought it.

Excuse the images. They are a little bad, but I had to take some of them with one hand on camera... :roll:

This is the kit when it's put together compared to an army canteen.
DSC254.jpg

Screw the lid off the burner and turn on the burner by setting a match or lighter into the burner.
This is how the windshield should look like. Hit out the 'arms' which is in it and put it on top of the burner so it fits.
DSC00200.jpg

Set the cooking pot in the windshield so it 'rests' on the 'arms'.
DSC258.jpg

Put the lid on top of the pot, to save fuel. You can also put the lid in the windshield and cook in that. :biggthump
DSC00203.jpg

When you have to put out the flame, just grab the lid for the burner and set it on. Be careful! The burner is very hot. Let it cool down and screw the lid on.
DSC259.jpg

Cheers, :uu:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well done mate!! :biggthump :You_Rock_ :super:

I've made a bookmark of this thread on my computer: could come in handy when / if I decide to buy a Swedish Army Cookset - still not sure what kind of cooking set I'm gonna use :?:

Cheers!!

:uu:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good one little Viking.

Although there are many other ways of using the kit too.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Viking said:
When you put out the flame with the lid, be sure to take away the rubber ring inside first.
Thanks. I've never done this and have never melted the ring or anything but, I will from now on. :biggthump

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A question for SAMK experts. The bail arm for the billy has two notches in it. One is upward pointing, top dead centre and the hook stis in it. The other is offset to one side and point at 90 degrees to the other. I cannot for the life of me figure out a use for this notch - but it must have one. All the kits I've seen have this notch on the bail arm. So, SAMK experts, what is the purpose of this notch?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Martyn said:
A question for SAMK experts. The bail arm for the billy has two notches in it. One is upward pointing, top dead centre and the hook stis in it. The other is offset to one side and point at 90 degrees to the other. I cannot for the life of me figure out a use for this notch - but it must have one. All the kits I've seen have this notch on the bail arm. So, SAMK experts, what is the purpose of this notch?
I've also been wondering this. :roll: What's it good for?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Central notch is for hanging without slippage and the off set notch is the storage position. With the hook in the offset notch the nose of the hook goes neatly into the opposite side. Use an strap to hold it all tight and non-rattley.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
So what is the best way to light it without burning your fingers??
It always seems to light better if it goes out half way through and you have to refill it.
I presume it is because the second time you light it the the burner is warm?? :roll: :roll:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Having singed myself many times over the years when attempting to light a Trangia I have found the solution.... Turbo flame lighter, does it every time. And hexy, damp tinder, small aluminium shavings....etc.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Danceswithhelicopters said:
Central notch is for hanging without slippage and the off set notch is the storage position. With the hook in the offset notch the nose of the hook goes neatly into the opposite side. Use an strap to hold it all tight and non-rattley.

Bingo, thankyou. :biggthump

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bothyman said:
So what is the best way to light it without burning your fingers??
It always seems to light better if it goes out half way through and you have to refill it.
I presume it is because the second time you light it the the burner is warm?? :roll: :roll:

Ferro rod!

Scrape your firesteel and shower some sparks down the central chamber. Those white hot lumps of ferrocerium do the biz every thime for me. Can light it from 12" away. Though I find the mill-spec burner much more stubborn at times than the commercial Trangia, which I now always use as first choice.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com

Sone right you don´t need a strap to hold it tight and non-rattley.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Great job M8y.. i always thought these things looked horribly complicated (i have no idea why), now i see that they are not!! Wheres the best place to be me mits on one?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I have the green aluminium version and I see unpainted jobs coming up on eBay. Is it worth clearing the paint off or leaving it alone. Black pans transfer heat better but is plain Alu easier to clean?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I have the green aluminium version and I see unpainted jobs coming up on eBay. Is it worth clearing the paint off or leaving it alone. Black pans transfer heat better but is plain Alu easier to clean?

Does not matter, they will get black sooner or later anyway.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
If used over a fire they get black real quick!!

I think the paint also helps retain a little heat too so I wouldnt bother - over time a lot of the paint will wear off just with normal scrubbing and use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE