Sweden - Pathfinder Survival Course with Dave Canterbury

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Definitely kicking a dead horse here now, but I’ll make this doubly clear - this event was not just an American guy giving a course in Sweden, it was run by locals and attended by locals and was delivered well and considerately. A talk was given on leave no trace (by a local outdoor professional) and those instructions were followed. In fact, at times myself and some others went beyond what was required to limit our impact on the local area, as I’m sure many of the posters here do no matter where they are.

For the particular task of sleeping out with the 10Cs, clarification on fire was asked for and given and those instructions were followed. At no point did anyone mention not building fire on rocks and the innovation of using the rock shelter was commended by locals and others and organizers.
The their point I’ll make, that you are unaware of, is that the task was to sleep at a specific point on a map, mine was almost entirely covered with rocks so this was my only real option for a flat area to sleep without sleeping on a bog.

I took all comments on board, and as I said I will pass on what you’ve said so the organizers can check on it. These are outdoor professionals who are local and I trusted their instructions and judgement and I’ll make no apologies for that. I’m the last person who would harm the natural environment and those on here who I’ve spent time in real life in the outdoors no that. I don’t appreciate the condescending tone of some and the suggestion that I disrespected or disregarded foreign soul because it was foreign. I’ve been all over the world with bushcraft and left only good memories and a few gifts the places I’ve visited. In this case I followed instructions and minimized my impact as much as possible. I was not allowed the sleeping equipment I had been using the previous nights on the ground (where I needed no fire) so fire was required in this case.

Thanks to those who are defending me here, and thanks to others for your good intentions, I’m sure you meant well.

Having said that, good intentions still require a good delivery.

I would also add that good intentions or not, some people have to add a comment to every thread on here whether they make a valid contribution or not and it’s getting a little tiring from my point of view. Also if something has been said, why reopen a thread only to drag the same comments up?

I’m not a very regular contributor, but BCUK has always been a fun place, a good resource and somewhere through which I’ve made friends in real life. Lately, however, I’ve noticed many of the once regular contributors whose posts Inemjoyed reading don’t post so often or at all and it’s a pity. When I open a thread I can almost guess who I’m had posted and how relevant it’s going to be. All in all, I miss the old BCUK.

It would be nice if people read an entire thread before posting and if I’m honest a few need to get out and do some Bushcraft and not spend so much time talking about stuff. That’s already been said.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE