Swanndri Mosgiel Vs Mosgiel Extreme

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Hi Guys,

I recently got a Swanndri Ranger shirt for my birthday and am over the moon with it. I can't wait to get home from work and change into it. It is a very warm item of clothing but I have noticed that on cold nights with a cold wind, the wind goes straight through it. It's a perfect top for working outside, but not if there's a sharp wind.

Because of this I have come to the conclusion that I desire, no, need another Swanndri. I've narrowed it down to the Mosgiel (the full length zip sold it) but now I can't decide between the Standard or the Extreme.

Sensibly I feel I ought to get the Extreme as this was all prompted by cold winds, but what I need to know is how windproof are the standard Mosgiel's? Is the materiel thicker than that of the Ranger shirt?

Help me make my mind up (and I'm sure some of you own said items so I look forward to your feedback ;) )

Cheers,
Hellz

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
the standard one is thiker than the ranger shirt and i have found that the two combined is adiquat for most conditions though if the wind chill is of a real consern i sugest the extream (though i only have the standard as the other was not out when i got one ) hope this kinda helps.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
The Mosgeil and other "big" Swannies are both thicker and more densely woven.

They are still not fully windproof, however. The extreme is, as it has a liner.

I bought a cheap windproof to use as a dropliner, as it was much cheaper than the price difference :D

HTH,

Jim.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Thanks guys. :)

Something else I've noticed is that it is virtually impossible to find a decent picture of someone actually wearing a Mosgiel online, is there a reason for this? (i.e, do they look really daft? :lmao: )

I'm a medium in the Ranger shirt, would that make a medium in the Mosgiel too?

Cheers,
Hellz

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hellz has flagged up a key point with the Swannie Ranger. The open weave makes it very warm and lightweight, but does mean it is not ideal as your outermost layer in cold windy conditions.

My solution is to add a Pertex Arktis windshirt over the top. These pack down to a 200ml size or so, are olive green, cost only £16 and weigh very little.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Well my standard kept me nice and warm over last weekends hedgelaying working in temperatures of 0 - 5 C with a bit of breeze and a bit of rain/drizzle. Kept out all the blackthorn thorns as well! I think I'd tend to go with the standard over the extreem if I was buying now, you can always add a windproof layer under or over for the really windy days and it is plenty windproof enough most of the time.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Hellz said:
Thanks guys. :)

Something else I've noticed is that it is virtually impossible to find a decent picture of someone actually wearing a Mosgiel online, is there a reason for this? (i.e, do they look really daft? :lmao: )

I'm a medium in the Ranger shirt, would that make a medium in the Mosgiel too?

Cheers,
Hellz

Hellz, I can pose in my Mosgiel tonight, if you want? :)
I will post a pic tomorrow...

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Herewith a pic or three...
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE