Swanndri help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Apologies if you are all fed up with swanndri threads but I've got it onto my head that I want to have a wool shirt. I've used pile and fleece for years but feel the need for a non synthetic layer. What I cannot decide is whether to go for a ranger or bush shirt, both on special offer at mo from bush wear. I'm concerned that the bushshirt will be too heavy cumbersome and warm and that the ranger is too light and not quite tough enough. Any ideas folks ?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think the Ranger is tough enough for most folks requirements, it is quite a bit lighter that the Bush shirt though which seems to have a much heavier weave, different garments really, not really comparable.

If you prefer the look of a traditional shirt like the Ranger, have a look at the Bison Bushcraft shirt, it is far superior to the Ranger.

:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I found the cuffs annoying on the Bison shirt, even with my girly wrists it was a strange fit, the collar isn't as good as the Swannies either I don't think, mine was an old one though so not sure if they've changed at all. Mine was a thicker weave than my Swannie Ranger but I don't think it was any warmer, I've got the Extreme though with the liner so that helps. I'm still wearing the Swannie and sold the Bison on, better cuffs and collar and I'd still have the Bison I think.

I've been looking at a Bush Shirt for a while now, not sure how often I'd wear it but I do like the look of them. BW are out of size Large which is annoying, good price that.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I've got the Extreme though with the liner so that helps..."

Mine is not the the Extreme which must make all the difference, my Bison is quite a bit warmer than my Ranger.

"...I've been looking at a Bush Shirt for a while now, not sure how often I'd wear it but I do like the look of them..."

It is a cracking bit of kit, it will double as a sleeping bag in a makeshift shelter but does tend to collect all the forest debris.

journeyman+1+07+073.jpg

:)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As you've pulled out that particular snap again......:D.........I feel obliged [once again] to point out that the chap in the purple is colour co-ordinating..:D

You cant go wrong with a swannie bush-shirt. Its not heavy and cumbersome, its more like snug blanket. The length of if makes it very comfy to sit down outside etc. But you'd never wear it 'down the town!'

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
As you've pulled out that particular snap again......:D.........I feel obliged [once again] to point out that the chap in the purple is colour co-ordinating..:D
..."

I'm the chap on the right not the fashion conscious Frontier Bushcraft 'team member' on the left, however since I last posted this pic I have replaced my lace up cord with some nice green nylon cord that I found in my bag one night. :)

The Bush shirt does make sitting down to watch the wildlife and scenery a little more comfortable.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's the fit like on the Bush Shirt, is it big to go over other layers or similar cut to the Ranger?

My Ranger is a medium but it's getting tight over anything more than a 200g Woolpower

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Chest is similiar sizing. Arms are bell bottomish. Its denser than the ranger. Shoulders and hood are lined, and the hood is great, as it doesnt mess with your peripheral vision.

Wierdly I think mine says XOS on the sizing label. No idea what that means....

and I reckon the original's better than the mosgeil.

And you add a coloured lace to it.:bigok:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What's the fit like on the Bush Shirt, is it big to go over other layers or similar cut to the Ranger?

My Ranger is a medium but it's getting tight over anything more than a 200g Woolpower

In theory I am a 42” chest and 34” waist, I can wear an xl Swanndri Bushshirt over a large Swanndri ranger or large Bison Guide Shirt, that feels comfy, not to loose and with enough freedom of movement to work easily.

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I had the ranger extreme but now its a plain old ranger i cut out the lining,(dont know why i opted for that one,kinda defeats the purpose of wool by adding a plastic liner,same as ventil jackets with liners )it was damp and sweaty after a bit of exersion and made the whole thing take longer to dry out much better with the liner removed.Also got the bison i cant really compare the two, bison wins though on quality for me but i prefer the swanni design.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Bison for me too, I actually prefer the cuffs and collar on the Bison.
I've Swanni and Bison, the Swanni lives in the wardrobe.

I agree absolutely. I hate the zip on the Swanndri Ranger - it's uncomfortable, it comes unzipped and the collar is utterly pointless. The newer Bison shirts that unbutton all the way down the front offer the most flexible option in my opinion. And they're British!

Jackdaw

I really like the Swanndri Ranger's collar as I can raise it up whenever the weather gets cold and it acts as a subsitute scarf.

I also own a Swanndri Bushshirt and love it. I wear it most of the surveying season unless it is un-seasonally hot and then the ranger suffices.

They are above all practical and hard wearing. I have never own a Bison offering and am sure they are lovely too. But the collar puts me off. It's interesting that they see it as a selling point.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It's the pockets for me. Don't own a Bison but have handled one and I reckon it is a cut above the Swanndri I own. But two flapped pockets versus one without a flap makes the difference.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
It's the pockets for me. Don't own a Bison but have handled one and I reckon it is a cut above the Swanndri I own. But two flapped pockets versus one without a flap makes the difference.

Like me then. I like to carry everything in my top clothing whether shirt or coat and nothing other than a map in trousers

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Thanks all for your input.... Have today ordered a bushshirt. Hopefully in all this freezing weather it will do the job. Tough decision but reckoned the denser weave won the day. Will post my experiences with it once it arrives, hopefully tomorrow. Again. Many thanks,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE