Swanndri Bushshirt! What size to buy???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
Greetings :-D

First timer signing in.....Great place I found here. I was roaming the net in search on some info on Swanndri bushshirts, and I stumbled on this place.

I hope someone can help me with the following!
Thinking of buying a swanndri bushshirt (mosgiel or the hooded original), but I haven't seen one in person and as I live in the Netherlands I won't be able to try one on for size before I buy. The option for me is to buy one online with the risk that it won't fit.
Can you tell me if the indicated size is really the one you need. On the net (kiwi site) I found the following info:
Small 36 inches 92 cm
Medium 38 inches 96 cm
Large 40 inches 102 cm
Extra large 42 inches 107 cm
XXL 44 inches 112 cm
XXXL 46 inches 116 cm

I have a chest size 45 inch. Could you tell I if I really need the 3XL. Is the size indication correct? Do I really need XXXL????? It just sounds HUGE!!! What are your experiences in choosing the right size?

I am also interested in pictures of a swanndri in action, so I can get an idea of how they fit.
Your experience with the bushshirt are also very welcome!!!!

Hope you can help

Cheers :wink:
Gilbert

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I have a Swanndri Ranger shirt which should be the same sizing as the Bush Shirt, and with a 45" chest I opted for the XXL. The sizing is quite generous, I found, and this was exactly the right size for me leaving room for layering underneath but not being too loose to wear under a jacket. Layering might be the most important issue, since if you plan to wear a chunky jumper underneath - and I think it would have to be pretty cold for you to do that - then you might indeed want the larger size.

If you want to see a Swannie in action then try to catch Ray Mears' programmes, or DVDs. He wears a Ranger shirt quite often and the episode of "Extreme Survival" in New Zealand features a man wearing a Bush Shirt. The earlier series "Tracks" showed Ray wandering around English woodland in a Bush Shirt, worn with a belt around the middle, but I don't know if this series is ever re-shown.

Hope that's of some help. Swannies, along with a few other famous old timers like Filson, do actually live up to their reputation, so if you get the right size I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

B

Barry Smith

Hi there.

I just got a Dunedin Jacket off Ebay. It is a XXL and fits me like a dream.

I am 6'6 tall and have a 46 inch chest.

Hope it helps.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I suspect that the XL would fit, but fairly snugly. Haven't tried it, though, as I crossed my fingers and bought my shirt through mail order.

Tony, is that a typo or do you really have a 58" chest? It just seems like a bit of a sizing leap between the 2XL and the 3XL if the measurement is correct.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I really do have a 58" chest....which is why I was wondering about the XL fitting a 45" I got mine mail order from NZ and I spoke to them before they sent it to make sure it would fit, and it does, it's great.

So, 3X fits me, 2X fits 46" that really is a big jump. Mine is the Zip fronted but I doubt that makes any difference.....Who knows.

Degrorobogo, the best thing to do is mail them over there(NZ) and ask for real sizes. Tell them how big you are and get them to tell you the size you need.

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
Thanks for the info guys!

It is indeed a big difference between the indicated size and what you guys actually wear. I conclude that a 3XL mosgiel or original bushshirt is certainly way to big for me.
What I have to find out now is whether to buy the 2XL or the XL. I will contact them to find out.

Could you tell me from which New Zealand company you bought the swanndries. Could you post a weblink? In my search on the net I found several online stores that sell swanndries. Which online store has your vote?

Cheers,

Gilbert

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's been a few years and I can't remember :yikes: I doubt it makes much difference. Go to the swanndri site and find a distributor off of that, then mail them all your questions. You don't have to buy off of them.

A

Anonymous

Dear Gilbert.

Nice to see that this site has such a wide appeal!

We supply Swanndri in all shapes, sizes and models. Our website will be live on Friday the 3rd October, but in the mean time if you need some help and advice on choosing the right Swanndri for you then please drop us a line sales@woodlandorganics.com and we will do our upmost to meet your thoughts and wishes.
Jack Beckett.

Degrorobogo

Sep 25, 2003
The Netherlands
I took Tone's advice and contacted the people of swanndri in New Zealand. I found the following information that I want to share with you in the case of wanting to order one, but not knowing what size to order.

The Bushshirt and the Mosgiel are made to the same measurements. (So the ranger shirt for example has a different sizing as it is a shirt and not a jacket!!). The first line shown is the chest size of the person the garment is recommended for,with the second line being the size of the actual garment (measured "around the jacket"... not inside the jacket). There is a fairly generous amount of ease allowed as people often wear fairly bulky clothing under their bush shirts. All measurements are in centimetres (one inch is 2,54 cm.)

Small Medium Large XL 2XL 3 XL
Person
92 98 104 114 124 134
Garment
114 120 130 140 150 160

This information has helped me a lot, but still am in doubt whether to buy the XL or the 2XL. Maybe you can help in this case Tone! With a chest size of 58 inch/147cm and having a mosgiel 3XL, are you still able to wear a lot of layering underneath, or is it only possible to wear some light shirts underneath?

Cheers, Gilbert.

PS! I also would like to thank Jack of woodlandorganics who has been very helpfull as well in providing me with accurate sizing info.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I can't get a lot of clothing on under the jacket but I can do a shirt, and jumper. I have no feelings of restriction. Although I don't wear jumpers very often.

With an XL you will have enough room unless you feel the cold or out in the cold a lot. They are not really windproof so sometimes the layering is useful protection from that. If you want it for cold weather and you wear bulky jumpers then go for the 2X, if you run warm and will only wear 1 jumper, shirt etc the XL might do you fine. They are quite warm.

One thing I can't do though is do up the collar, it goes no where near doing up around my neck :-D

I have 13cm spare and I am happy with it, you will have 16cm (off the top of my head!) which I would be happy with. So, up to you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE