swanndri bush shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Unless people know what it is people will think you look like some sort of medieval archer!
Wear it with shorts and everyone outside NZ will think you are a total nutter :)
You have to get over the fact that they are not the sort of clothes that will go unnoticed most places you would go outside the woods.....
But they are great! Better than fleece in that they are more hard wearing, spark proof and well, wool.
Buy larger than normal. So if you are a M buy an L etc. You can/might have to wear jumpers underneath.
And the Mosgiel zip is a good idea if you're not sure about the over the head business.
Buy Now!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You should buy one, if nothing else, tiny forest imps will feel less threatened by your presence and will befriend you...

tracking.JPG

...you can live in your Swannie, make a temporary shelter out of leaves and debris and your shirt will be your sleeping bag. :)

Edited to add:

What bullterrier said, definitely get it sized so you can wear jumpers or a woollen shirt beneath.

I had a Mosgiel but didn't get on with it, the over the head design seemed more appropriate to the style of garment, try before you buy.

swannie.jpg

They can look quite good with a belt wrapped around them.

Last edited:

Jackdaw

The first one I bought I had taken up a few inches; so same design, just shorter. It didn't work. The reason they work is because they are long. Shorten it and the wind gets right up you. I thought about putting a drawcord along the bottom hem to cinch it up but cut my losses and sold it on. I have since bought another one and left it alone. It's great and is fantastic for wearing on cold nights whilst I'm out surveying bats or badgers etc.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have two Ranger shirts, an original bush shirt and a jacket-style one (I think a Mosgiel) - they are all amazing, and excel at what I got them for (keeping me warm!). I run hot anyway, so normally wear them against the skin and have had no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend getting one. In fact one of my Rangers will be up for sale soon, so keep your eyes peeled if you need an XL :)

keith2616

Dec 16, 2009
Scotland
I'd agree with Jackdaw's comments re shortening. I had about 4-5 inches taken off all round, but mine was an XXL and I'm only 5'9", but a bit of a friar tuck in the belly department...
So shortened, the bush shirt came to mid thigh on me and generated fewer quizzical glances from passers-by than before, and the spare material got turned into a second chest pocket,
elbow and shoulder patches, which I'm generally happy about, but now my bush shirt is a bit less effective at keeping the wind out. I bought a used Mosgiel later and it's definitely warmer
for being longer than my modded bush shirt. The Mosgiel is obviously easier to put on/take off, the side hand-warmer pockets are very handy and it looks much more like a normal coat.
Despite this, there's something special about the bush shirt - I just love it. On balance, the mods have probably been worth doing for me, but not by much.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
how does the sizing workout guys? i'm 5'9", 44-46" chest, 34" waist, should i go large or extra large? i'm naturally warm so wont need 2-3 layers beneath......

If it helps, I am...

Chest 42”
Waist 34”
Inside leg 31”

And these are the sizes (the size on the label) of various items I wear

Swanndri Bushshirt - xl
Swanndri ranger - large
5.11 Tactical shirts - large
Bison Guide Shirt - large

In winter I will usually wear the bushshirt over a Bison Guide shirt with a Woolpower 200gm top below that. That keeps me nice and toasty.

:)

metriaclima

Mar 10, 2014
stonnall, staffordshire
If it helps, I am...

Chest 42”
Waist 34”
Inside leg 31”

And these are the sizes (the size on the label) of various items I wear

Swanndri Bushshirt - xl
Swanndri ranger - large
5.11 Tactical shirts - large
Bison Guide Shirt - large

In winter I will usually wear the bushshirt over a Bison Guide shirt with a Woolpower 200gm top below that. That keeps me nice and toasty.

:)

thanks for that, looks like an xl for me then......

N

Nomad

I'd need to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure my Bush Shirt is a medium, while the Ranger is a large (I'm 5'10", 42" chest, 36" waist). A large 5.11 shirt fits me fine, and the Bush Shirt is okay over thermals and shirt, but maybe a tad snug with another layer underneath (never tried, but the fit feels right without another layer).

General comments about them...

• Much thicker and tighter-woven material than the Ranger.
  • Quite heavy, but not overly bulky for what it is. Generally, something I'd rather wear than carry.
  • Quite good wind proofness (much better than the Ranger), and pretty decent shower resistance. Still very breathable.
  • Feels like it's tough as old boots and will last forever.
  • Doesn't have hand-warmer pockets, and a second chest pocket would be nice. Not much protection around the neck (wear a scarf or something if needed). Cuffs are huge when not buttoned.
  • With the neck lacing/closure, t's a bit hard to get into the pockets of the shirt underneath (much easier on the Ranger - zipped and longer opening).
  • The lining isn't sewn along its bottom edge (stops short of the hem of the main fabric by a few inches). I always felt I had to be careful when putting it on to make sure I didn't snag the lining, so I did a load of blind stitches to secure it to the outer - now I just chuck it on without thinking.

Overall, a good bit of kit despite its compromises. If I had spare matching material, the hand-warmers and chest pocket would be added for sure. I'm glad I've got one. I see it more as an OTT shirt or jumper than as a jacket. Looks-wise, the hobbit style is a bit difficult to wear to the office but totally in its element in the woods.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Had mine on at Northwood last weekend. Way too warm for it now the weather is getting better.
Oh and they make a great pillow.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Iv seen a few of these and when they are well fitted they look good and blend in well but when there too baggy they can stand out a bit, but it's a compromise to allow for extra layers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE