Swanndri alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Anything wool..... natural wool (with the oils still in it) has the amazing ability to shed water.... just ask any sheep. I have a few pure wool shirts that I keep 'oiled' as well as swanndris .... theres not much difference between a wool shirt and a swanndri ranger performance wise but I've never come accross something on par with the bush-shirt that swanndri make.... very thick, lined with merino wool and 3/4 length..... gets a bit heavy when wet though.

Ed

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I DON'T know if it's an alternative to Swanndri, but in summer, spring and early autumn i wear a normal cotton shirt, from the army. I know that cotton kills, but I've only fallen in water on my own will! :wink: (well on bushcrafting trips.... :lol: )

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Check the normal clothing stores and second hand shops for shirts in wool. I bought one with wool mixed with polyester and it works really great now in autumn and in winter and the best part is I got it on sale in an clothes shop for only £10.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ed, how do you mean by keeping a shirt oiled?
After washing, make sure all the soap is rinced out and add a cap full of baby oil to the last rince .... replenishes the natural oils that the detergants/soaps strip out..... I now some people use hair conditioner on their woolens but I've never used it myself.

:)
Ed

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I bought a Bushshirt from Bison Bushcraft at the Wilderness Gathering and I asked Roger about washing and proofing. His reply was, when it needs washing hang it on the line in the rain and use lanolin to reproof it. Anybody have any thoughts on this? And if anyone knows where I can buy some lanolin it would be a big help.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
MOAC (mountaineering activities) wool climbing shirt V.excellent I was lucky to get one in't charty shoppe £4.
I know what you mean about army wool shirts being itchy and scratchy espy-I used to wear them as a youth for farming work, shooting fishing etc-tough go anywhere

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'd say old army KF shirts would fit the bill although they itch to buggery - we used to shave the insides of ours with bic razors to help prevent it, Squaddies hated them!

A good army woolly pull will do you well to. However not a robust as a swanni it will be cheap and careful. One thing to bear in mind is that the Swanni will last a long long time.

Other companies making woollen gear in the US are Filson's or Columbus (or a similar name) having tried some of their clothing I would say Swanni's are generally better and now Swandri have a waterproof/windproof lay they really are spot on.

Hope that helps

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Hi everyone :wave: Gary, it's columbia. They do make good wool sweaters.Woolrich also make some good wool clothing.Nixwax, I think thats how you spell it. They make a wash in treatment for water rerepellent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE