Swan for dinner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Happens all the time! I live near a big park and we lost a pair of swans the same way 2 years ago. 2 dogs attacked the male swan who obvioulsy confronted any attacker in order to protect his family (the pair was with chicks, it was in mid-June). Passers by found him lying there with his neck broken. All witnesses saw in the distance was 2 dogs going for the swan family unprovoked and killing the male as he stood up to them to protect his family and give it the time to swim away to safety. Like a self-sacrifice.

The owner and his dogs just wandered off after that and were never found by the police.

I had taken photos of this swan family, and to this day I feel the sadness of losing this beautiful male and this beautiful swan family in our park.

The female carried on raising the young there on her own throughout the Summer, until she finally led them out of the lake once their flying skills were up to it. Swans pair for life so it is unlikely she will pair up again. And no other pair of swans settled in our park again.

It was heartbreaking! I had watched the female sitting on eggs for long weeks and before that watched the pair making their huge nest on an island in the middle of the lake.

I happen to know one thing or two on dogs and dog training.
The problem is most dog owners don't know anything about the dog world/dog behaviour, don't train their dog and don't know how to, all of which would be part of their civic responsibilites as well as a true sign of love for their pet. Nor do many of them really care.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE