Swallows.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One of my brothers lives near the Alps and a few weeks ago said that he saw Swallows stop near his house for half an hour then away again, next day the same thing happened.
He said it was weird just seeing them briefly instead of them being a visitor, its his first year over there.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Saw three darting about on thursday, the same woods had quite a lot of insects buzzing about, presume that's their feed. I love the Swallows, they buzz around you when walking across a grassy area with midges. At Bennybeg climbing crag near Crieff, after climbing in the evening, when it's dusky, they can circle around you close by if you blow your breath out and attract the midges.

Seen a few big bumble bees the last few days too.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Half-dozen about the farm where my barn/workshop is, Lower Wye Valley......................it's great to see 'em!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
back in good numbers in Bowland. They normally arrive on the 12th but saw the first one on the 14th this year. Willow chiffs, wheatear and redstart are all back on territory.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I saw the first swallow last week (18.4.). Not many around here yet, but yesterday on a trip back from the Netherlands there was a spot with I guess about 100 house martins. Now I am waiting for the common swift to arrive. Here in the city we don't have much swallows, but many common swifts. I love their cry when they fly around the houses. The sound of summer...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE