SW Lake District hiking trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I spent a few days in the SW Lake District last week with Teepee, more kit testing and plenty of hill practice ahead of our Cape Wrath Trail walk later in the year. We headed SW as it's an area neither of us have walked in before, I've paddled on Coniston many times and looked up at the surrounding hills but this time I would get to walk them.

Tuesday 20th May

Pete showed up at mine on Monday night and then we set off Tuesday morning, hitting rush hour traffic it was almost lunchtime by the time we reached Tilberthwaite car park, a quick final pack of the rucksacks and we were away.

Tilberthwaite Gill

Emerging from the cover of the trees we're greeted with the first view of Wetherlam, our first peak of the day

After reaching the summit of Wetherlam we continued westwards and up Prison Band until we reached Swirl How

At Swirl How we turned north and then west again before finding a running water source and scouting out a campsite for the night. We found a nice area just off the saddle between Great Carrs and Grey Friar, camp was setup and we kicked back for the remainder of the evening.

Half an hour or so after getting setup the skies darkened and we heard a few rumbles in the distance, a short while later we were in the cloudbase with thunder and lightning going off all around us, always fun on top of a mountain.

The storm soon passed over and we were bathed in sunshine once again, we watched the black clouds and thunder roll up Moasdale and break over Scafell and it's neighbouring peaks, our destination for tomorrow. A fairly early night was had, I'd pitched poorly and didn't have the best nights sleep.

Wednesday 21st May

After packing up we came up with a plan for a shorter day which would put us in position to bag Bow Fell and Scafell the next day, a leisurely start with out of date porridge which turned out like oaty soup.

Packed and ready

Our target, the bowl below Scafell

Lunch break was next to a lovely little river in a gorge at Cockley Beck Gill

Leaving Wrynose Bottom

After reaching the end of the path at the top of Moasdale we branched NE and up beyond Churn How to find a lovely campsite next to the river in Green Hole.

Our route for tomorrow, up Yeastyrigg Gill to Ore Gap

Pete having a snooze in the hot afternoon sun

Midges were out in force, almost Scottish like with their persistence, time to break out the Wilmas. The sun dropped behind the mountains and the temperature soon dropped, cool air began flowing down from the tops which was enough to force Pete to turn his shelter around.

Thursday 22nd May

After a better nights sleep I awoke early and peeked out of the shelter to see this

Our route shrouded in cloud

We made the decision to not bother going for the tops but instead dropped down the valley and figured out an alternative route for the day.

Using old map software is always a gamble, the forestry I'd picked out for a possible shletered camp was no more

So we pushed on, continuing on the planned route and into tomorrows leg, the pretty River Duddon near Troutal

Our route would take us up along the edge of Seathwaite Tarn where we hoped to find a sheltered camp for the night, in honesty it was horrid, struggling to find a flat enough area for two shelters and out of the wind was a challenge. we settled on a semi level area behind some rocks and got set up.

The NE winds hurled down Seathwaite and spilled over the dam and straight onto our camp, I lay for hours trying to sleep without much success, I eventually grabbed the MP3 player and drowned out the wind noise.

Hell

Friday 23rd May

The next morning couldn't come soon enough for me, I sat for a while before giving Pete a shout around 07:30, we packed up, skipped breakfast and headed out.

Reaching the end of the tarn we turned south and climbed a swine of a hill following Far Gill until we reached Goat's Hawse

Goat's Water below Dow Crag

The Old Man, our next summit

Dropping down from the top we continued eastwards towards Miners Bridge and the Consiton Fells

After a killer climb out from Miners Bridge and up Hole Rake we would eventually end up back in the valley we first started, we found a stunning campsite for our last night, it's so good I can't even tell you where it is.

We chilled out for our last night, despite the occasional shower it was a beautiful place to camp, again the midges came out for a nibble.

Morecambe Bay in the distance

Saturday 24th May

All packed up

Away down the hill back to the car

Mileages for the trip weren't massive but lots of ascents and descents, a quick tally shows almost 3500m of ascent in 3.5 days so not too shabby.

I took loads of photos so you've gotten off quite lightly, more can be seen here ..
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Shewie01/slideshow/SW Lakes May 2014

Kit list will be added later

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fantastic write up as per usual, real shame about the Seathwaite night, but then it's that sort of stuff we tend to remember the most.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice one Rich, that looks like a great trip. I've done the Old Man of Coniston a couple of times. Must have been murder with a full pack! Looked like some cracking weather too.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yet another top write up Rich. :)

Thanks again for the excellent company.

The phone pics I took before the battery died on flight mode after a day on the new S4mini phone aren't worth uploading.

Some of the kit was susprising this time. The new GG Airbeam sleeper wide mat was far more comfy than I'd even hoped for and close to perfection for a lightweight but comfy airmat. Dissapointed that the Inov8 345's lost their soles, I can't have done anymore than 200 miles in them. The monk clone tarp did really well against those winds at Seathwaite, far more confidence in that microtarp centre pole setup in bad weather now. Doors are definitely going on it though.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....The phone pics I took before the battery died on flight mode after a day on the new S4mini phone aren't worth uploading....

you should be able to get a bit better than that mate, I manage 2-3 days on mine in power saver mode, I've stopped using flight mode. The camera's pretty good once you get the feel for it too. Still no competition for a nokia 100 and a compact camera though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
looks like a lovely few days

Thanks Tom, it was nice, a bit soggy underfoot at times

Always good to see your trip pics Rich. Great stuff. Enjoy Cape Wrath (it's been a long while since I was last there!)

Cheers Dave, looking forward to getting up there in August

Thanks for sharing your trip.:)

Good times :)

Cheers lads

Fantastic write up as per usual, real shame about the Seathwaite night, but then it's that sort of stuff we tend to remember the most.

Thanks mate, it'll be a night I'll remember for a long time

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice photos. You must have been up there at the same time i was paddling on coniston. :canoe:

I was waving Dave but you never waved back :)

Nice report and pics. :) Going to spend a bit of time looking at the ones on photobucket.

Enjoyed the report and some stunning shots. Thanks.

Thanks folks, glad you enjoyed the pics

Nice one Rich, that looks like a great trip. I've done the Old Man of Coniston a couple of times. Must have been murder with a full pack! Looked like some cracking weather too.

Not too bad Kit, the packs were pretty light again by the last day. The weather was mixed, we had some heavy showers whilst camped but not too bad whilst walking.

Excellent write up there Rich :)

Cheers Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great trip report, thanks for sharing :cool:

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it

Yet another top write up Rich. :)

Thanks again for the excellent company.

The phone pics I took before the battery died on flight mode after a day on the new S4mini phone aren't worth uploading.

Some of the kit was susprising this time. The new GG Airbeam sleeper wide mat was far more comfy than I'd even hoped for and close to perfection for a lightweight but comfy airmat. Dissapointed that the Inov8 345's lost their soles, I can't have done anymore than 200 miles in them. The monk clone tarp did really well against those winds at Seathwaite, far more confidence in that microtarp centre pole setup in bad weather now. Doors are definitely going on it though.

I was surprised to see your tarp still standing when I woke up Friday morning, I was expecting to see you either wrapped up in it or completely tarpless, I doubt it could've got a tougher test. Bummer about the Terrocs, are you going to chase Inov8 up about it?

thanks Rich and Pete for sharing your trip, always good to see pics of the lakes. :)

Cheers Steve

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Fantastic trip report and some lovely pictures. Thanks for making me very envious😉👍

Sent from somewhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE