Svord knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I suppose so. I never saw how one could light a feather stick with a firesteel?

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Would the knives be available from bearclaw with handles like this?:

svord1.jpg

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its not as hard as it sounds Jake - feather sticks and candles can both be lighted with a fire steel just takes practice and fine feathering of the wood, I have come up with a simplified feather stick techique especially for the Svord (although it should work for most knives) which works well that way - remind me to show you some time its really simply.

Scott, yes mate that is the Bearclaw Svord drop point and it looks exactly like that but with the sheath in Danzo's pictures.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Gary said:
Scott, yes mate that is the Bearclaw Svord drop point and it looks exactly like that but with the sheath in Danzo's pictures.

So it has the light handle rather than the dark one in your first picture?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Handles vary in shade Scott - most are darker than the picture though - the one in my first picture (with hat and spoon blank) has grown darker with use and this is one of the reasons I like the knife it develops a character of its own with use, its not a shelf knife but a worker.

Do you like the darker handle then? I am sure I can find you a darker one :wink:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Gary said:
Handles vary in shade Scott - most are darker than the picture though - the one in my first picture (with hat and spoon blank) has grown darker with use and this is one of the reasons I like the knife it develops a character of its own with use, its not a shelf knife but a worker.

Do you like the darker handle then? I am sure I can find you a darker one :wink:

No no, I liked the lighter one better. I was just making sure you didn't only have the darker ones as I will be asking for one for christmas :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well, I cant guarantee a light one as light as the picture but I will put one aside for you.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Gary said:
Its not called a skinner outside NZ and OZ - they are officially sold by Svord as drop points to me.

May be the skinner title is a reflection on NZ and Australian hunting traditions either way it doesnt detract from their hand made quality.

The Svord website (Economy Sporting section) shows a 'Drop Point' (4 3/8 ") and a 'Skinner' (5"). The first is definitely a 'drop point' design, but -IMO- the latter is definitely a 'skinner' with a belly like that (albeit a drop-pointed skinner). There are other models listed with a much more accentuated curve and skinning belly in the style that has come to be associated with Green River.

Burnt Ash

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Gary said:

I don't want to seem difficult, Gary, but the model pictured by Scott/Young Bushman earlier in this thread is the Svord 'Drop Point'. The model you show on your web site appears to be the 'Skinner'.

Which model do you stock: the 'Drop Point' or the 'Skinner'?

Burnt Ash

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
BA - it is the drop point which we stock as per Scotts enquiry. The confusion was caused by me publishing a picture of the skinner to show the sheath detail without specifying the knife was dofferent.

Sorry for any confusion guys.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi folks

I was just going to PM Gary as I realised there was some potential for confusion when I saw events had overtaken me! I have other pictures if anyone, including you Gary, want others.

:roll:

The round thing is a Maori necklace carved from whalebone, sometimes called a Tiki in Maori, although I think this more properly refers to stylised human figures and not the abstract designs such as this one and the more famous fishhooks style.

The Svord in my picture is the Skinner. Gary has the Drop Point. The Skinner has an identical handle and sheath but has more belly and an upturned point for, er, skinning things! Gary is selling the Drop Point as seen in the pictures from the Svord website posted here and is much more of a traditional bushcraft design. The skinner would of course be an admirable knife for those who skin things. I was told in New Zealand that by far and away the most popular there is the economy pig sticker; wild pig hunting is very popular down under!

I can't link to BB at work but there are a few thoughts on Svord over there now in 'Testing and Reviews', including the deluxe drop point. These are awesome beasties with massive convex ground blades and brass fittings. Mine has a tawhai burl handle, but most have an almost black stabilized wood. They can be bought from NZ$180 in New Zealand, which at about £65 is amazing value for a handmade knife of that quality. However they are hard to find! Bryan Baker (Mr Svord) may post up some one offs for sale on BB so keep your eyes peeled..........or skinned!

:shock:

:eek:):

Danzo

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Gary said:
BA - it is the drop point which we stock as per Scotts enquiry. The confusion was caused by me publishing a picture of the skinner to show the sheath detail without specifying the knife was dofferent.

Sorry for any confusion guys.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Burnt Ash

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Gary,

Having had the pleasure of meeting you this weekend and seeing your knife I'd like to order one please, can you tell me the best way to go about this?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sorry if this is the wrong place to do it but its easier than PMing every one.

The first batch are in and will be posted out this weekend. Thanks for your patience! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE