Svalbard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I'm thinking holiday once the divorce is out of the way and the money from the house sale comes through. I like cold climates, I've been to the Ice Hotel but it's not enough.
the Svalbard or Siberia, maybe Greenland, anyone been to any of those? Hmm done 24 hour darkness, I wonder what 24 hour light would be like.
My other options are the other extreme - I'd love to go play in the desert,
Realgar

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
re deserts

have you thought of a working holiday ?

i spent almost a year on a moshav (a type of kibbutz but not quite as communal) in the negev desert south of the dead sea but north of eilat

an experience i will never forget, the wildlife was almost as much fun as the nightlife :shock:

Tant

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Tantalus said:
re deserts

have you thought of a working holiday ?

i spent almost a year on a moshav (a type of kibbutz but not quite as communal) in the negev desert south of the dead sea but north of eilat
Tant

Long term ain't an option - my pets would starve, my job of eight years would vanish and my dear mistress would find someone else. I've tried to persuade her that we should go live with the Evenk but she doesn't think it would be good for the children ( and we speak neither Russian or Tungus ), she's even less enthusiastic about moving to Congo.

Realgar

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I spent some of the summer in finnland with 24hr daylight it was a little disoriantating but I think I would have prefured to have been there in the winter for the snow

you'll love the desert

J

JeremyH

Any northern land is superb in winter and although in the north of the arctic circle you are looking at long nights - with clear skies there is alot of reflected light. I have spent considerable time in both Northern Sweden and Finland - both are fantastic.

Not too keen on hot deserts being of nothern, pink skinned and celtic hair..once upon a time....

Just rember once you've do it ..it can become a habit..

Jeremyh

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've been to Iceland and Sweden in the winter, there is something very odd but comforting about the long dark there. both places suffered from unusual cold snaps whilst I was there - Rekjavik was hit by heavy blizzards and Sweden was plunged below -40C which didn't please the Sami much as the reindeer were actualy getting frost bite, we had one case of mild hypothermia in the party which did at least get me some credit with the natives for realising the woman was in trouble and trying to do something about it.

I'm kind of hoping the great rift might open up in Iceland again - I want to see an erupting volcano.

Just been looking on the net - submersible diving at the pole???

I would love to meet some of the traditionaly ( well mixed traditions I suppsoe ) living peoples - how do you go about contacting native groups in any given area?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE