suzuki jimny

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
There is a company here in the states that makes a kit that has all of the parts to allow a drop in fit of a VW diesel. I understand the HP just about doubles.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
usualy drive a series landrover but on holiday in crete hired a jimny. impressed by the fact it has proper hi/lo ratio gearbox. i got the impression that the newer model has less ground clearance than previously though. this may help with the rolling however. It was superb on tracks and mountain roads and pootled along the main coast road at 50 mph happlily if noisily 1.6 petrol engine. Seemed like good value for money but wouldnt want to tow anything too substantial as it is not that heavy and might steer light with a load on the back. Check with a dealership re tow weights?

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
i have driven landrovers for years, raced them, off roaded them, broke em, etc. extreme off road nothing compares to a landrover.
BUT and this is a big BUT, i have to say the suzuki's are incredible, not as much maintenance as a landrover, they do rust like anything else, and they do roll on road, real easy if your not carefull,they will compete quite well against a landrover if that what you want then get one keep it standard and enjoy it, i would not want to tow a caravan with one though, thats my only down point.
about 12 months ago we did a spread for a 4x4 magaxzine, and we pitted a landrover defender, against, a mitsubishi, toyota, nissan, subaru, and a suzuki.
the landrover won by a mile, and the little suzuki trounced the rest.
you will enjoy

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i loved min i ripped out the back seats and boxed the rest the dogs and I went everywhere in it real work hoarse. same as everyone else though maybe a bit poor when it's got somthing on the back!

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Dont have one but always fancied one as heard that they are loved by the people who have them. I have also seen that the Vitaras are supposed to be good off road but not sure which is the better?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I had the old SJ4210 van blind many years ago, brilliant little motor, got a Grand Vitara 2.0TD now and love it, especially now i've got rid of the road tyres and got some General Grabbers AT2's on.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I had a SJ413 when I lived in Cyprus.
I kicked the living hell out of that car for three years, taking it all over the island.
We used to play in abandoned quarries at the weekends, drive over the top of mountains, race over salt flats, everything.
Nothing stopped it.
As for towing, I pulled a few landrovers out of the salt flats and sand dunes when they got stuck :D

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
I am amazed that a simple question not really related to bushcraft should have such a response. Good sense says buy the jimny and flog the caravan. Thanks again for the input.:drive:

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
couple of pics of my sj from the weekend:

i know it's nowt to do with a jimny, but i want to show off!
using my new kelly kettle
IMG_1427.jpg

nearly cross axled
IMG_1422.jpg

greenlaning is excellent fun. tbh my £900 suzuki is as good off road as my old 90, or my landcruiser.
not as good on it though.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Check kerbweights and towing limits here.

The max towing limit (1300kg for a jimny) is what the vehicle can manage to pull away with up a hill. For a caravan the advice is that the caravans laden weight (MTPLM) should not exceed 85% of the towing vehicles kerbweight. This is to avoid it overtaking you:eek:.

So although the Jimny will be better able to accelerate the load, the Berlingo will be more stable once you are cruising.

I ended up with a Ford ranger truck :drive: so I don't have to worry about weights or muddy fields anymore, just diesel bills!

Apologies if this is stuff you already know.

Z

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I ended up with a Ford ranger truck :drive: so I don't have to worry about weights or muddy fields anymore, just diesel bills!

Z

Have you tried on mud yet - I had one for work and it was useless. It got stuck even in low ratio and with AT where the old Defender it replaced sauntered up in in high ratio second.

That said it was more comfortable, had a decent heat and you could hear the radio at more than 30mph.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE