Sussex BCUK meet for January 2015: Weekend of the 30th to 1st of Feb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steven Tagg

Jul 12, 2014
West Sussex
I bought my steel from Lord Farquhar on here for around £12. He makes up a batch (& other cool forged stuff) from time to time puts up a sales thread. You could try a PM to him maybe? The flint I found I think!

Great, I'll give that a go.

Finally got around to ordering one of those field packs today as well!

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Steven

I will bring a map and navigation kit, also is there a particular type of fire lighting you would like to practice? I can bring a selection of things for you to try if you want.

Luke

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Dave, hoping to get down for this one, is it OK to bring a mate along? He's a member of my canoe club who is just getting the wild camping bug...

Also have a large lump of flint if anyone wants to practice the flint and steel.

cheers

Stewart

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Maybe.

th

Steven Tagg

Jul 12, 2014
West Sussex
Steven I had a wee look. Is the wood called Broadstone Warren? I can print off a 1:25 or a 1:50 scale map of the wood.

Incidentally this may be of assistance http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/magazine/map-symbols.html its a 'how to'

As I said. pm me details email / snail. I'm sure I can scan it once printed which would make delivery easier :)

Windy

Yes, it's Broadstone Warren. Looks as though a few people are going to bring maps but as you have kindly offered it would be nice to have one. my email is steven.tagg@icloud.com 1:25 would be great.

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded a few things from OS and they are very helpful.

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Steven Tagg

Jul 12, 2014
West Sussex
Steven

I will bring a map and navigation kit, also is there a particular type of fire lighting you would like to practice? I can bring a selection of things for you to try if you want.

Luke

Great, thanks Luke.

Re. fire lighting - I'm just wanting to keep my hand in as I haven't done much natural fire lighting recently. I'll be bringing a stash of char cloth, birch bark, cramp balls, thistle heads and some sphagnum moss that I have been drying and want to practice getting a fire going with each of them. I've got a new fire steel to try out. We have the group fire going throughout the meet but I want to practice getting a fire going from scratch with each of these tinders (hopefully) and gathering/processing wood, which should be a challenge given the amount of rain we're currently getting!

I've also never made a fire reflector and wouldn't mind having a go.

Look forward to meeting you.

F7144

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Kent
Steven

Sounds like you have plenty to practice with, fire steel is a great tool to use in winter conditions. This is the best time of year to keep on top of your fire lighting, I will also be keeping my hand in making the most of the cold and wet conditions. I will be keeping myself busy with various tasks I have set myself, I need some new photos for Greencraft's FB page.

Luke

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
Looks like its going to be a big meet this month....

1 Neumo
2 Quixoticgeek
3 Steven
4 Dark Horse Dave
5 Bill
6 Adrian
7 Jo
8 Luke
9 FedUpFrog
10 Wayne
11 Birchwood
12 Stewart
13 Mark ( stewarts mate)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Wow, that meet suddenly got a lot bigger. Have been very busy so did not look at this for a while.

Stuart: Yes, please bring your mate along, especially if he is another Canoe camper

Luke: Yes done DSC1 & would be good to have a chat about DSC2 etc...

I have to go on Saturday night now as I have to do something on Sunday now, but will stay for the meal. Hopefully Wayne will be staying till the Sunday so can take the parachute with him, if not then I may have to take it with me or pick it up off one of you later. We can work that out on the day.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There is a chance I am going to be turning up on a bike for this one. Does anyone have a spare chair that I could borrow for the weekend?

Cheers

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE