survival tin

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
My advice? Chuck the tin in the bin and get hold of a belt pouch (possibles pouch). Put in that the stuff that's useful and handy to have on your travels and use it - regularly. Replace the things that don't work, aren't necessary or break. Upgrade when you need a better item.

Mine contains all sorts of gubbins. Plasters for when I get a blister or a cut, some headache tablets, a small torch, a ball of string, a lighter.....you get the idea. No need to duplicate stuff that you carry on your pockets.

Let me show you some of mine - this is my "woods" pouch. The black thing is a small monocular for watching game etc.

This is my every day pouch that lives in my jacket pocket

EDC by British Red, on Flickr

You get the idea...use the stuff it contains so that you know that, if you need it, you know how to work it and that it won't fall apart on you!
Red whats the thing to the right of your multi tool?
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you smoke Mandos, fill the tin with baccy and papers. You won't starve in the UK so you don't need the fish hooks or snare (you really need to set a lot more than one of either if you hope to catch Mr B Bunny or Mr Trout). Most of your kit will be on you somewhere anyway so like Red said, get something a little bigger that will hold things you'll actually get to use in order to make life more pleasant when out and about.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
My mum (bless her) once bought me as part of my Christmas pressent a survival tin. You know the one with the green label on it.
I hadn't the heart to tell her that I was more likely to find a use for a book in latin then that!.
I still have in on the shelf.
Alan

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Yes, I binned the tin years ago. I recall a bush pilot condemning survival kits on the ground that what you need to survive is what you need and use every day. OK, the context may change, but the priorities are the same. Clothing, water, food. In one trouser pocket at all times is a carabiner/key ring with SAK, whistle, small torch, lighter, matchcase containing puritabs, needle and thread and a couple of safety pins. In the other pockets are a mobile phone, and life venture wallet with ID, cash cards, money, fresnel lens, a couple of plasters, small signal mirror more, puritabs and firestick, and a packet of tissues. In jacket pockets are local map, gloves, hat, space blanket, platypus bottle and tiny foldup rucksack into which coat goes in warm weather. This copes with all normal needs and is checked in the way British Red describes. This suffices for everyday and local walks.

I use a bumbag as a response pack which goes over the shoulder or in whatever rucksack I am using if going further afield. It contains FAK, metal mug, fire making stuff, cordage, a small repair kit, bug dope and headnet, monocular, mora and navigation pouch with compass and GPS.

Who needs a tin?

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You dont need a mirror: just polish the lid of your tin.
Maybe some water purifying tabs and some matches ; regular and weatherproof.
Forget screws unless you are taking a screwdriver.Sharpening stones can be improvised
from almost any sandstone or gritstone.Get a good leather belt and prime it to use as a strop.
Give your cotton wool a dunk in vaseline.Fishing line is good and any small heavy object can
be used as a weight.A tiny knife is better than a razor blade as they are almost impossible to
sharpen.
Hope this helps , Simon

That really helped me too :) I usually keep my folding knife on belt or in pocket. Must get some fishing line ... I think ??? Belt idea really good ... must get belt!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That really helped me too :) I usually keep my folding knife on belt or in pocket. Must get some fishing line ... I think ??? Belt idea really good ... must get belt!
I love really well made leather belts and have several by various members here as well as sundry sheaths and pouches.
My strop belt is a big one which fits outside my Swanni or topcoat so I have easy access to pouches and knife.Belts on this
forum are roughly half the price they would be for the same quality in a "gentleman's outfitter" too.I'm sure that mine will outlive me!
Cheers , Simon

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I recently started to play with my kit again (based on the SAS one by John Wiseman, with some added bits and bobs).

With this article (link below) in mind and the fact here in Holland you'll never be more than a few kilometers away from a road, etc I started to re-design my kit: not to survive for weeks, to catch game or fish, but more as a moral boost in case I get geographically challenged without any kit - even though that's highly unlikely. Overhere I can't think of a place where there's no phone signal ... Both comforting and sad at the same time :(

This 'survivalkit' is for 24 hrs (maybe 48, but if I'm not found by then - or walked / crawled out myself - I'm probably dead) :bluThinki

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=243-Survival-is-all-about-a-good-cup-of-tea

For now it's all theory, but that's half the fun:

BCB tin
For now. I like the idea, though more for the fact it keeps things from being scattered in your pockets. Before I discard the whole 'boiling in a tin idea' I'll first try it myself.

Puripen
Have to do some more research and find a suitable one that fits the tin. Area where I usually camp has plenty of ditches with rainwater. I'm thinking about the puripen as I might not have the patience to wait for the puritabs to do their job - and it saves carrying a waterbag / zip loc.

Esbit (x6)
To start a fire, or as I intend to use them: to heat / boil water for a brew.

Lighter (x2)
Lighting fires.

Whistle
Signaling.

LED (white)
Signaling, and for phychological effects: bed light.

Stock cubes (x3)
Salt intake. I'm contemplating to swap them for electrolyte tabs.

Tea bags (x2)
See article, link above.

Chocolate with peanuts
Energy and last meal ;)

Mini DEET (40%) spray
Area where I usually camp has at times a lot of mosquitos, and there are ticks galore in the grassy areas. Can also be used for firelighting, though I haven't tested it yet myself.

Codeine (x2)
I rarely use painkillers, but just in case I strain my ankle or bump my head.

Immodium (x4)
Keep liquids in, I also 'suffer' from Crohn disease - situations with extreme stress ain't fun.

Personal medication
For said Crohn disease.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
"I use a bumbag as a response pack which goes over the shoulder or in whatever rucksack I am using if going further afield. It contains FAK, metal mug, fire making stuff, cordage, a small repair kit, bug dope and headnet, monocular, mora and navigation pouch with compass and GPS."

Sounds a lot like my SAR kit, the rugsack is left in the car, but the hump bag goes into the woods when on a gig.
Add a thermos of hot tea, a water bottle and trail marking tape and its the same set :)

Scullion

Oct 15, 2012
Essex
Fair enough, it is very likely that you will be rescued within 48 hours when out lost in the UK's wilderness... But those 48 hours can be a long time, and during that time I would much prefer to have my survival tin containing fishing line/hooks and snare, etc... For one, those are two items of kit I do not carry around with me inside my 'day-to-day' or normal hiking kit!

Two... Using your fishing line or snares can kill time and keep you occupied until rescue comes! If successfully used, can be a massive morale boost, especially when your cooking your catch on an open fire!

Plus the idea of having a small survival tin is that it can be kept close on your person. There are a hundred scenarios in which you can easily lose/destroy your rucksack and other pieces of kit. Whereas the survival tin is always close by on you... I.e, belt pouch, inside pocket.

It's not duplicating your kit, it's backing your kit up!

+1 for survival tin

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
+1 for survival tin

+1 on that
a tin, leather belt/possibles pouch, on your keys (though not sure how much you'd fit there)... just seperate to your bag and on your person, the whole point is that you will always have these things no matter what happens to you or your kit.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a tin that has morphed over time. I wouldn't call it a survival tin just a tin of handy items all in one place.

007-8_zps958c3803.jpg

008-10_zps141e442b.jpg

From my last version I have taken out the wire saw and several other items I will never use. To complete my tin I want to add some Loperamide tabs, one each of a metal and wood jigsaw blade and some steri-strips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkuytMFYOS8

Steve.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
Durham
They are U.S army issue fire lighters from Ultimate Survival Technologys. They burn when wet, and even when floating in water; some of the best tinder on the market.
Get them on amazon retail for an 8 pack is somthing along the likes of £14-£20
Cheers
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE