survival tin "tins"

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
One of our American cousins did an article on here he used a Swiss Army Oval bottle and cup as a recepticle. He cut the top of the bottle and was then put the bottle in the cup top first. It meant he had a fair sized container to put the kit in and two cooking pots. I've got a couple of the Swiss army bottles and cups but haven't got round to cutting the tops off.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My apologies, I may be about to drift this thread.

First question you want to ask yourself is what exactly you are aiming to survive and for how long.

In the UK, if you get lost or injured what is most likely to kill you is hypothermia. Staying hydrated and maintaining your core temperature should be your two aims. Appropriate clothing / shelter will improve your chances greatly without carrying round a little tin full of fish-hooks etc. I would suggest a space blanket / survival bag / bothy bag should feature in any "kit" as would an appropriate supply of water for your location / trip.

Other than that, assuming a search and rescue operation , become an active participant in your own rescue . Be bright and visible. Be noisy ( have a whistle) .It may or may not be of use but carry a charged mobile phone. Ensure someone knows what route you are taking and that they will contact the emergency services if you do not return by a given time.

Other than that, in my view survival tins ( for the UK at least) are really just an interesting mental execrise.

Spot on, but I fear your post will fall on deaf ears:rolleyes:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Spot on, but I fear your post will fall on deaf ears:rolleyes:

+1

Soooooo many people seem to view commercial 'survival tins' (especially if the advertising alludes to the equipment being used by special forces soldiers) as some kind of tinned Superman Kit!

In an emergency, open (usually for the first time!) tin, and you are instantly fully equipped and prepared for any and every situation!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Another idea I use is the 60mm "evidence" tubes the police use, extendable from about 200mm to 350mm and a bit of Gaffer tape makes them waterproof.

n54y15.jpg

:)

Are these tubes the wee red ones bottom right ?

Nick

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi SCR, the "evidence tubes" are top left, the little red tube is in fact a container for "Loctite 55" which is a pipe thread cord, a bit like PTFE...

First question you want to ask yourself is what exactly you are aiming to survive and for how long...

If you look on You Tube for Wilderness Outfitters, Dave Canterbury has done an excellent piece on an Urban EDC Kit which I think addresses your point WWD, albeit with the usual American 'twists' (you need to take into account UK law regarding carrying offensive weapons & knives).

On a separate note, I really like the 'Evidence Tubes' idea - anyone know of a source (other than befriending the local 'bobby')?

Cheers

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Contents of a survival kit in my opinion is a personal choice, with a container to match. The type most commonly thought of is the standard tobbaco tin style, and contains the items of kit that will aid survival when found in the middle of nowhere without any other kit. The origins of the tin size BTW was to get over the to folk the fact that you can survive in the wilderness with very little kit and it does not take a dozen or more bearers with tents, beds, etc just to get by. An example of such a situation would be a downed plane. Assuming having survived the crash (otherwise it would not matter what was available) the contents of the tin is all you need to stay alive. Tis true that comms eqpt like a mobile or 2 way radio or sat phone would be brilliant, but then it would hardly be a survival situation, in that scenario merely a few hours wait until picked up, however it is a well known fact that many of the remotest areas do not have a signal for a phone and a radio at ground level has very little range, and it is then that the need for survival is at it's most crucial. This is where a survival kit comes into it's own. A question is also, when are we most likely to need survival kit? I would suggest not when we are out with our kit on a bushy outing, cos it's the best survival kit there is, with our bivvies, cookers, knives, axes etc etc.
The big important question to ask ourselves is, to survive what exactly? That is an unanswerable question cos we won't know till it happens, therefore items that will assist us in most situations or the basics if you prefer, is the most desirable. We need protection from the elements which might include a shelter of some description or the tools to make one perhaps, a knife. We need to be able to be located and attract the attention of any rescue party. We need something which will enable us to aquire food and water. Water is obviously the more important therefore a means of purifying it, ie fire to boil it which is the simplest method, and a container to hold it, and boil it in. A means of navigating, in case we would need to move to a more viable area or even if the need to walk out is required. As the situation changes, then so too should the contents of the kit. We would not require the same kit if we found ourselves needing to evacuate the house in the event of a fire in the middle of the night. In this situation some warm clothing, mobile phone, credit/debit cards and useful phone numbers would be more appropriate. If on a boat fishing 12 miles offshore when it sinks then the items needed would be totally different, you get the idea. So different contents for different situations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE