survival tin "tins"

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Hi guys

what sort of tin do you use for your survival kit? I have long used a tobacco tin but looking something bigger, more a thing i can leave in the car along with my other odds and sods. I am probably going to end up using a set of mess tins but jsut wondering what other people use?

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I used to use a messtin with the old Survival Aids lid, but that was years ago. Don't know if they're still available? Still have mine somewhere!
The SIGG tins are good quality too and can often be bought in the sales (bit brightly coloured though!)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I use the tins with the water-tight seal and clips on each end, they were in a cook set from Halfords, they are about the size of the small mess tin.

Another idea I use is the 60mm "evidence" tubes the police use, extendable from about 200mm to 350mm and a bit of Gaffer tape makes them waterproof.

2lkpsgp.jpg

n54y15.jpg

:)

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
woohooo i have been trying to find a name for those tubes for ages, the closest i ever got was drill bit containers and i could never find any of the shelf. thank you :)

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
hey wingstoo ,thats a cool tube and a neat idea!..korvin karbon the Trangia mess tin w/handle might be the way to go ...it's bigger than the baccy tin to carry more kit and has a handle so you can really cook and brew up in it ...i should think that they are easy to find at any outdoor store on that side of the pond....for me vince g. i still like and use the British S.A.S survival theme of the tabacco tin to hold those last ditch items needed for survival in the woods or i guess anywhere....mind you folks i do tailor my items i carry to the area that i live and travel...the tin is NOT an end all do all item,but does carry those items not found in nature and needed right now...i also carry a pouch on the belt and a ruck with still more goodies...good luck in your quest...vice g. 11 b inf......

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...new here. Been trying to figure out a survival kit for the Malaysian jungle. Here is what I have come up with.

sur-kit.jpg

All that is packed into the Nalgene bottle on the left. I decided to use a Nalgene bottle since no water will get in. The the Malaysian jungle, it pours very often.
That's my one and only Nalgene bottle. Decided to use it since I heard rumours about the material (of the bottle) not being suitable for 're-use' with drinking water.

Anyway...just to share.
http://my-rainforest-adventures.blogspot.com/

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Crusader mess tin is an option, the baisc idea being that whatever container you use should double as something usefull.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Crusader mess tin is an option, the baisc idea being that whatever container you use should double as something usefull.

yup looked at that too. The tin would be handy for cooking in, always a good thing :D but you then have the issue of carrying the stuff thatw as in the tin, obvious answer is to have the tin in a pouch really.

I like the look of the crisader and trangia mess tins, jsut can justify the expense as i have a set of normal mess tins that would do fine.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The Trangia 210 Mess Tin has a close fitting lid, insulated handle, is safe to cook on (its a mess tin!) and is a good size with rounded edges.

£6:15 from Cotswold Outdoors, I linked to the Trangia website as it displays the same version without the handle, and a larger size too, the 211.

http://www.trangia.se/english/2931.complements.html

They're Grrrrrrrreat!

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
thank you, i could not find the mess tin online, all i got was the swedish army trangia

cheers:)

EDIT: the trangia mess tins with the handle in my cotswolds are 17 quid !!!! hence why ive not bought them

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
thank you, i could not find the mess tin online, all i got was the swedish army trangia

cheers:)

EDIT: the trangia mess tins with the handle in my cotswolds are 17 quid !!!! hence why ive not bought them

Korvin,

If the Trangia 210 is the one you want, and Cotswold's are £17:00 and you can't get 'em for less, PM me an address and I'll post you one, as even with Recorded Delivery you'll still save enough to make it worthwhile.

Update: I just checked the Cotswold website, the price has actually been reduced to £6:02, probably due to the VAT change.

B

Bush Junior 001

Hopefully I am posting on the right thread this time, after the advice I was given on what should be kept in a survival tin I have decided to buy one. I have looked at the ones below but would like any advice on which one I should look at purchasing they all seem so different. I am not in the military but dont mind buyin a military one if it has the right kit.

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/55/mia/d/combat+survival+kit/pid/52978

This one seems popular, the next 2 I saw for sale on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Survival-Special-Forces-Tin-Survival-Kit-SAS-SBS-Army_W0QQitemZ180301390834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item180301390834&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CONTACT-LEFT-MILITARY-SURVIVAL-ESCAPE-EVASION-KIT_W0QQitemZ360121276237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item360121276237&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3A1318

All 3 seem different so any help or advice on which to choose would be great, I can afford the one thats £50 but want to know that it is worth the money.

Cheers
David

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
wrong thread, bit not to worry

DO NOT BUY THOSE TINS, some of the items have uses but please remember its survival not escape and evasion.

Get lofty wisemans survival guide amd read it, that will give you a good idea what to get. The tin should contain things you can use.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
My apologies, I may be about to drift this thread.

First question you want to ask yourself is what exactly you are aiming to survive and for how long.

In the UK, if you get lost or injured what is most likely to kill you is hypothermia. Staying hydrated and maintaining your core temperature should be your two aims. Appropriate clothing / shelter will improve your chances greatly without carrying round a little tin full of fish-hooks etc. I would suggest a space blanket / survival bag / bothy bag should feature in any "kit" as would an appropriate supply of water for your location / trip.

Other than that, assuming a search and rescue operation , become an active participant in your own rescue . Be bright and visible. Be noisy ( have a whistle) .It may or may not be of use but carry a charged mobile phone. Ensure someone knows what route you are taking and that they will contact the emergency services if you do not return by a given time.

Other than that, in my view survival tins ( for the UK at least) are really just an interesting mental execrise.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
For us who like to trail the UK, I don't see the survival tin questions as an out and out "I'm gazunked, I need a tin to get me out of here" we like to play games, I've done it and so have a lot of you guys I bet. We do it with our knives and kit don't we?

Its good to get away sometimes from the crowds and have a go what Mr Caveman did.
icon7.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE