Survival is all about a good cup of tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 22, 2016
Scotland
Brilliant thread :) I almost always carry tea making equipment with me anyway and as has been said, it is universally welcomed instead of being dismissed. Do the coffee drinkers ever take non instant coffee? I can't stand instant coffee, but real coffee seems to need more stuff carrying than tea. Especially if you make tea out of something you find whilst out! Does anyone know of a reliable list of things that are safe to make tea from?

Nov 11, 2016
sussex
hi there Rosemary
Tea wise I can only think of wild berries and of course mint, off the top of my head. For substitute coffee, I have dug up Dandelion roots, chopped and roasted them before grinding up. Got to admit the smell is better than the taste, First time I did this I was surprised at how much like coffee it smelt while roasting. These days I carry my stove espresso percolator and some ground coffee. With tea I should imagine it depends on location and season as to what's available. I wonder if you can add a drop of Bergamot oil to plain tea to make your own Earl Grey?

I always carry some loose tea with me, usually black, sometimes home dried mint. I also carry rum, but not for helping me warm up, it does not work that way. But it is relaxing.
Keith.
Rum_Bottle_2_JPG2_JPG3_JPG_REDUCED_to_WEB_PAGE_S.jpg

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Brilliant thread :) I almost always carry tea making equipment with me anyway and as has been said, it is universally welcomed instead of being dismissed. Do the coffee drinkers ever take non instant coffee? I can't stand instant coffee, but real coffee seems to need more stuff carrying than tea. Especially if you make tea out of something you find whilst out! Does anyone know of a reliable list of things that are safe to make tea from?

Lots of people here in Sweden make"real coffee".IIRC it is a coarser grind that is simply added to cold water, and then brought to a boil, allowed to set (adding a tiny amount of cold water will help in the settling), and then poured. I hade done it a few times for others, but I personally find coffee-taste rather disgusting to tell the truth.

I drink decent teas, either wild[1] or decent Japanese greens or very occasionally a good P'uer (my equally good half likes the oolongs, but I have never really liked them as much).

One could I suppose carry matcha, but the real whisks are somewhat fragile, and I have yet to get a birch twig whisk that works quite as well for that.

[1]
Some suggestions are Epilopbium angustifolium of course, but there are many more that are good, such as leaves from Fragaria vesca , Rubus idaeus, Vaccinium myrtillus, Trifolium pratense and T. repens (flower-heads are good from the clovers as well), Betula sp., and Ribes nigrum

Reactions: Crac

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lots of people here in Sweden make"real coffee".IIRC it is a coarser grind that is simply added to cold water, and then brought to a boil, allowed to set (adding a tiny amount of cold water will help in the settling), and then poured. I hade done it a few times for others, but I personally find coffee-taste rather disgusting to tell the truth.....

It's often done that way here in campsites as well. Unfortunately coffee releases tannins at that high a temperature (boiling) which have a bitter taste. Some people really don't like coffee at all and others don't like the tastes of those tannins. The Professor makes a pretty good video on the subject https://youtu.be/XOrz-gFppXU

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I take ground coffee and a light weight plastic filter (gold plated actual filter but plastic body) - instant coffee cannot be called "coffee" and I usually have to add sugar in around twice the amount I normally take to drink the evil stuff!
I know folk who will take coffee beans with them, roast them on camp , grind them and make a real brew each time ... almost as bad as taking flour, water, oil and soda to make bread on camp when you can carry in White Sliced :)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I take ground coffee and a light weight plastic filter (gold plated actual filter but plastic body) - instant coffee cannot be called "coffee" and I usually have to add sugar in around twice the amount I normally take to drink the evil stuff!
I know folk who will take coffee beans with them, roast them on camp , grind them and make a real brew each time ... almost as bad as taking flour, water, oil and soda to make bread on camp when you can carry in White Sliced :)

I find the liberal addition of coacoa or hot chocolate make most hot beverages, even instant coffee, potable...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It's often done that way here in campsites as well. Unfortunately coffee releases tannins at that high a temperature (boiling) which have a bitter taste. Some people really don't like coffee at all and others don't like the tastes of those tannins. The Professor makes a pretty good video on the subject https://youtu.be/XOrz-gFppXU

Coffee for boiling ( in Sweden) is a light roast and very coarsely ground. Does not taste bitter at all, but because if the roast grade it is mire acidic.
Traditionally you boil it up 3 times. That is what I was tought anyway.

Rosemary, to brew real coffee while in Nature is one of lifes pleasures.
Nescafe and other instants just do not give the same pleasure.

The coffee concentrate Camp is better in taste but so nauseatingly sweet!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Cracking post Stuart a good read indeed.

When we go out even for a walk round the lanes here we always take a brew kit with us not because of any fears of getting stranded or lost but because you'll never know when you'll stumble across that sweet little spot that's calling out for a quick brew up and enjoy the scenery.

I know it's already been said but this should be made a sticky for the quality of the first post....That's a damn good read, pure and simple.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Reading Post#1, any hot drink will do to cut the confusion. Just do it.
Disoriented a couple of times was spooky. Short fits of screaming profanity at the forest
makes me laugh. Then I settle down and figure out where I am.
I don't feel it wise to stop for too long in the winter and I never carry any alcohol.
BIG DRINK whe I get home.

BTW, GPS is useless where I play and cell coverage will never happen. Compass rules.

May 28, 2017
Pennsytucky
Hahah, very clever indeed... I also thought this was gonna be a bit of british humor, but you're spot-on and I'll try to remember this with my outdoor kids group. Thanks

Great thread! Can't beat a hot cuppa to put a smile your face and take the chill away. I still remember using a little hotshot stove to hear up water for a cup of instant coffee when I was out in the field in the Army. It wasn't the best tasting cup in the world but it sure brought a little civilization to my cold, tired bones!! I enjoy coffee but I love a good cup of black tea with a shot of cream. Anything is possible after that!

I'd love to see pics of everyone's tea or coffee kits. We usually pack a pocket rocket stove, a ton of tea bags and some powdered creamer when we go out on hikes with the Boy Scouts. Great morale booster, especially in the rain ☔!

Last edited:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I have a little 330ml titanium mug, with a beer can hobo stove, trivet and ali foil wond shield. And nestled in was a custom made meths bottle. Which all packs into the mug, sits in a string bag in a jacket pocket.
There is a great deal of smug value and conversation to be had when it gets deployed.

Unfortunatly, the fuel bottle started to leak meths, which evapourated , leaving the nasty tasting addative in the mug. And that stuff is not easy to shift. So my brews were a bit 'tangy' for a while after that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE