Survival Badge - Easter Weekend shennanigans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Hi,
I'm the SL from 4th Reigate and we've just returned from our Easter Survival camp.
We've got a younger troop of new Scouts (mostly 10 - 11) and they really wanted to have a go at the survival badge.
So after lots of prep and training over the spring term we finally embarked on Good Friday with more training at camp until Sunday midday and then the Scouts were cast adrift to fend for themselves.

Each of them had a sleeping bag, first aid kit (including water puri tabs), torch, knife, firesteel and orange survival bag. We also provided them the food basics which they then added to with foraged items and food.

10 Scouts set out to survive and with temperatures having fallen to sub zero two days before the leaders might have been a tad nervous ;-) (the Scouts on the other hand had no fears at this point, the wonders of youthful invulnerability and bravado!). They spent most of the afternoon setting up their shelters and working out that you need a huge amount of leaves to make a debris shelter before finally moving their bags in and getting ready for sleep later.
Next on their agenda was food and water, with no safe drinking water available they made filters and then realised they had no means to boil the water (no utensils, pots etc.) They decided it was 'survival' and merely filtered the water and added the required amount of puri tabs. (I hasten to add, they were drinking tap water with sterile dirt added along with a little food dye). Next they moved onto the challenge of getting the fires going. Using foraged cramp balls they had two fires going in next to no time and cooked Squash, Pots and Sweetcorn in the fire with Beef patties cooked in leaves. They'd foraged and added Lady's Smock and Ramsons to the beef patties.
So, fed, watered and shelter erected they sat around the fires and decided to tell stories. After an hour or so of scaring each other silly with ghost stories they decided to bed down.

The leaders had been popping down occasionally throughout the day but after a final check at 10 PM where ready to leave them for a good nights sleep.
We walked back to our campsite (5 mins walk away) and got settled in round our own campfire for a peaceful night...
At 10:30 PM coming into camp we saw a string of torches bobbing through the woods...
Of the scouts, all but three of them had managed to discover that they couldn't cope with the bugs, that shelters built against tree roots aren't comfy and that making a shelter too small means getting cosier that they where prepared to. (I think the earlier ghost stories may not have helped!)

However, in the morning I wandered down to to remote camp and was hugely pleased to find the remaining three scouts up (having slept well), with a fire going and sausages sizzling on sticks. They stayed down there for another hour or two and once they'd cleared up finally arrived back in the main camp with the biggest grins on their faces.

So, only 3/10 actually managed to get the badge over the weekend but the remaining seven have unanimously voted to organise themselves another camp within 6 months to attempt it again having learnt so many lessons on how to do it better next time :)

I'm chuffed the weekend went quite so well and with very few injuries and every Scout/Leader wanting the camp to last longer.

I'd also like to hand a big thank you to Kevin from the Wildside Survival School for his expert foraging tuition over the weekend.

Hope everyone else's Easter camps went as well.

Regards,

Tim D

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Sounds like great fun to me.
What did you use as sterile dirt?
I really like that idea too and dont want to have to reinvent the wheel as I am sure its probably obvious.

Well done to the three who got thier badge and the otehr for wanting to try again.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
Hi All,

PM'd Tim on this but figured i would open it out as well.
I have been tasked with owning the survival badge for our troop. We have a camp booked in for September so have this term to train em up.

A couple of questions.

1. Any one got any experience with the badge and maybe have a planned event calends to save me coming up with one? (i know an awful cheat!)
2. Anyone know where we can get hold of some good knifes for them? The scouts one is a folding knife and i really don't like the idea of that. Looking for a nice small knife preferably with a rounded point.

Over to you!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As far as knives are concerned I suggest your Troop buys THESE and some of THESE for the smaller Scouts.

I recomend these and that the troop owns them as you wouldnt expect the Scouts to bring thier own axe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE