Surveying gadget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Indeed although i only ever used a digital one even back in the day. im not that old lol. The total stations they use these days are great though but i cant help thinking they take something away, my younger brother in law is doing a surveying degree at the moment and they dont do half of the trig we had to do back then. I vividly remember calculating whole circle bearings with manual tables because the lecturer said we had too. Ive never touched one since i left uni and i dont miss them :)

I used to be really into map making when i was a lad. and used to make all the bits out of wood and broken byno's and air riffle scopes. I remember the trig as well, our maths teacher swore blind it would be a valued part of our education, and that was probably the last time I used it.

The Old Woodlands Boys School, where boys were boys and the fuzzers had theirs heads stuffed down toilets, or broom handles through the arms of their blazers and hung up between the stalls.... :lmao:

Dont listen too him. its a city in Australia

Have you seen the blue goldfish :rolleyes::lmao:

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Surveying Transit

Yep, it's a Transit. I still have Daddy's old one. Might have several different names around the world though so other answers on here are very likely also correct. As said, they're used to measure distances, changes in elevation, etc. when building roads, bridges, airport runways, dams, and other works of Civil Engineering.

The modern ones are digital, LASER types.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had to use trig the other day in real life.....first time in a third of a century! Worked though - even with trig tables :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
A transit is a forerunner of the theodolite and measures angles, a level measures the differences in hight between points using a staff at the point of reference. Both have now been replaced by total stations which do both.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Used one similar to this back in the late 70's when I started work as a surveyor for taking levels and measuring angles, very accurate and great lenses.

Brings back loads of memories of cold days land surveying around Yorkshire pubs designing car parks , extensions etc , good times a long time ago

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
how many places does it move in i.e. verticle or horizontal or both or none:

Transits measure horizontal angles
Theodolite measures both horizontal and verticle angles
Builders/dumpy Level -- does not measure angles at all. It is a telescope an spirit level that creats a level line of site along a plane.

The Crows Foot may well be OS in origin. Itself orginal part of the War Office

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Used to use trig all the time at work. Damn customers couldn't draw breath so had to use it to work out vital dims from drawings that were missing. Got quite good at it but hated working on cones, ellipses and details like the joints between two round pioes joining at awkward angles!!
Makes simple angles, triangles, etc pleasurable in comparison i think.

Gd find aTengu. Ive always loved scientific or engineering or surveying equipment. Older tge better as i love to see how it used to be.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
there's some of these on ebay at present. a military highway surveyors level.

016-3.jpg

But looks like its millitary...Anyone know anything?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE