Surplus shoulder bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
Thought I'd show this off :D Not really a review yet as I can't use it til after christmas, but a preliminary as it were...

I, like many, grew up knowing that if you're after cheap kit that'll last a lifetime or longer, army surplus is often the way to go. And I did that for a while, but at some point I foolishly decided that I wanted something fancier. That inspired this:

bn.jpg

Some cheapo rubbishy shoulder bag from eBay. It has 6 pockets IIRC including the main compartment, eyelets on the front I used to attach junk to, I could hang just about everything from it and there was a compartment for just about everything I had. Well, as it happens, it was a bit too complicated for a simple fella such as myself, and I wound up using the main compartment for everything and using the rest for stuffing rubbish in :rolleyes: The canvas was thin and flimsy, the lining was just nylon, the strap was fixed, and there was no 'backbone' to it so unless you had a 1.5l volvic bottle in it, it just flopped around. The floppiness of the bag also allowed stuff to dig into my leg which was a PITA.

Enter army surplus. I found this bag while browsing eBay and couldn't pass it up - technically it's a christmas present from my dad, but I managed to bribe a looksee to take some pictures with a few cookies and chocolate eclairs :lol2:

It's french army surplus, the seller said he thought it was from the 60s. Pics:

fsbag.jpg

Canvas is good n heavy, quite coarse - should be good n hard wearing.

fsbag2.jpg

Strap closures are thick leather with good steel buckles. Stitching's good too.

fsbag3.jpg

Stitching round the shoulder strap buckle, also riveted... good heavy buckle again.

fsbag4.jpg

Holds one yellow pages and what I think is a thomson local. They're really just there to straighten out the leather, as it was flattened for shipping.

fsbag5.jpg

What leather? This leather :D This is the bit I really liked, the inside is completely lined with stiff leather to protect the contents, you from the contents and keep the shape.

fsbag6.jpg

Shoulder strap is removable, heavy steel clip again, and the leather holding the d-ring is again stitched with heavy thread and riveted.

fsbag7.jpg

Closure straps where attached to flap

fsbag8.jpg

Also has belt loops - I think this'll be great for those trips up cliffs where you don't want a heavy bag bouncing around, should be able to put it on the belt while still allowing the shoulder strap to take most of the weight. I might just make a leather 'adapter' so I can put a knife sheath here instead, kinda like on Nessmuk's 'ditty bag'.

fsbag9.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what these are for. The seller said that the bag could be worn as a rucksack, which I suppose you could do and I might give it a try - the metal fittings on the strap don't fit through the d-rings, though, so you'd need another one. I think it's more likely that these are to allow a rolled up sleeping mat or the like to be strapped/tied onto the bag, which I'll definitely make use of.

I forgot to take a pic, but the flap also comes down over the sides a little bit which should help keep water out when it's raining.

I'll be EDCing this to work when I get it at christmas, so I don't have to carry around a carrier bag with my work shirt and bottle of water, so I'll no doubt come back with more a more final opinion - but things are looking good :D And I love that army surplus smell.

Pete

PS: Forgot to add, this cost around £20 including shipping - about the same as the first bag shown!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
This is one of my favourite bags. I have found the loops on the back carry a Wildlife Hatchet or Small Forrest Axe very nicely. The only thing I don't like about it is the strap fittings can rattle a bit, but I plan to look at muffling them, maybe with some cord or similar.
For some reason mine has a green finish to the leatherwork.

Dave

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Okay, so I have gone mental.

Weird as this is only post I can't see the pic on!

EDIT:

just checked the page code and can see the links fo the pics, but they are blocked by our work firewall - odd as we are a gambling company and I can get to pretty much anything else.

So yeah, anyway, its me....

Last edited:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
This is one of my favourite bags. I have found the loops on the back carry a Wildlife Hatchet or Small Forrest Axe very nicely. The only thing I don't like about it is the strap fittings can rattle a bit, but I plan to look at muffling them, maybe with some cord or similar.
For some reason mine has a green finish to the leatherwork.

Dave
Nice idea with the loops, my hawk fits them nicely :D Yeah, the same seller had them with green leatherwork - no idea why the difference!

I see them ok and that looks like a pretty good bag . As you say should last a life time.
Cheers bud :D

Okay, so I have gone mental.

Weird as this is only post I can't see the pic on!

EDIT:

just checked the page code and can see the links fo the pics, but they are blocked by our work firewall - odd as we are a gambling company and I can get to pretty much anything else.

So yeah, anyway, its me....
I can e-mail you the pics in a zip file if you can't get online at home mate! Pm if y'like!

Pete

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Kev at Endicotts has just got a shipment in - I picked up one last week...and they are certainly VERY robust and durable. Give him a tinkle and he'll give you a good price. And I expect not as much as £20!

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
yeah i have had one with the green lining for a while now.
I expect it will last a lifetime -very well made.
To use in rucsac fashion think like an old fashioned school satchel.
Remove strap completely from usual attachments,
thread the starap through both leather loops then reattach metal clips- but to the metal loops on the base. this gives you a sliding, adjustable, pair of shoulder straps which can be further adjusted using the length adjuster buckle on the strap.
A very neat bit of design
I was told they were French or Belgian 1950/60 ish and were used for despatches, hence the waterproof leather lining.Though this would also fit with use as a bread bag.
I reproofed mine with some aqueous nikwax made for leather/material. It softened the leather a bit and the canvas is now very waterproof

By the way good choice -the us arctic waterbottle but its worth putting a bit of tape round the white plastic on top of the bung to protect it as it can be brittle (? age) and can split/shatter if knocked

Last edited:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That bag really shows how leather straps are stitched on properly.
Topknot
That's good to know :D

yeah i have had one with the green lining for a while now.
I expect it will last a lifetime -very well made.
To use in rucsac fashion think like an old fashioned school satchel.
Remove strap completely from usual attachments,
thread the starap through both leather loops then reattach metal clips- but to the metal loops on the base. this gives you a sliding, adjustable, pair of shoulder straps which can be further adjusted using the length adjuster buckle on the strap.
A very neat bit of design
I was told they were French or Belgian 1950/60 ish and were used for despatches, hence the waterproof leather lining.Though this would also fit with use as a bread bag.
I reproofed mine with some aqueous nikwax made for leather/material. It softened the leather a bit and the canvas is now very waterproof

By the way good choice -the us arctic waterbottle but its worth putting a bit of tape round the white plastic on top of the bung to protect it as it can be brittle (? age) and can split/shatter if knocked

Cheers for the suggestions mate, I hadn't thought about either :D I'll work out a cover for the bottle top!

Pete

Mar 29, 2006
London UK

I'll delurk.

Edit, found its true purpose.

It's a French "Musette porte chargeur FM mle 24/29 grand modèle", as used by the French in Algeria, French-Indochina war (as in the battle of Dien Bien Phu) etc. It is for carrying magazines and loose ammo for the French M24/29 Machine gun (a French Bren Gun) Hence the heavy construction.

There is also a smaller companion bag for the tool kit etc.

2 models, one with internal compartments, one with out. The lower D rings are for attaching further equipment related to the machine gun.

It was replaced in the 60's, so likely already 50 years old!

They have proved very useful for historical inspired airsoft, a few of the team I belong to were using them last weekend (we were the Viet Cong, which is about as modern as we go, we are normally WW2 free french). You certainly can fit an wholes days needs in one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE