Supplier for axe handle and carving blanks in / near Sheffield?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Does anyone have a recommendation for a supplier of wood for making a couple hatchet handles and rough up some carving blanks in the Sheffield or Mansfield area.

Was ideally looking for some ash for the hatchet handles, not too sure what wood for bowl / spoon blanks? I'm guessing it needs to be seasoned for tool handles, not just green wood?

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
contact Robin Wood, he would give you good local advice. He has a good video that shows his way of fitting up an axe head, although there are several ways to do the job.

If you are starting out carving, try to get willow or alder, both easy to work. Bent branches (3 inch + diameter) off large beech trees make good spoon blanks, you make use of the bend to get the cranked form.

The wood for an axe handle needs to be bone dry at the point it is fit to the axe head. If you get your blank out of a log, you can create the rough shape you want, then dry the wood thoroughly in an airing cupboard or near a stove, then fine finish the shape and fit it up when it has dried. If the wood is fit up still damp, the axe head will work loose when it does eventually dry (and shrink)

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Thanks Mr Dazzler, helpful info:-D. I didn't think of robin, which is a bit daft as I bought a carving hatchet and crook knife from him a while ago!

I have a greenhouse so would that be good for drying something like ash or too hot and likely to crack it? I've fit a small forest axe handle to an old Kent pattern head before, but I think I'd have to be far more careful lining up the axe head if carving a blank from scratch!

Not done a lot of carving before so looking to practice with hatchet, crook knife and small carving knife. I assume once carved you have to dry things like spoons slowly to stop warping \ cracking?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE