supplementing Christmas dinner

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Do any of you forage for anything for Christmas Dinner? I can't say we do, although there's a few pheasants out the back so maybe ......

It could be stuff you've gathered earlier in the year and you're going to use..Toddy and BR probably have chutneys or some other wonderful thing they'll get out, any others?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Do any of you forage for anything for Christmas Dinner? I can't say we do, although there's a few pheasants out the back so maybe ......

It could be stuff you've gathered earlier in the year and you're going to use..Toddy and BR probably have chutneys or some other wonderful thing they'll get out, any others?
I've a bottle of sloe port, a couple of bottles of raspberry gin, and sloe gin. but for the evening (I'm working during the day) we're having crabb apple and blackberry unside-down sponge, followed by chopped cobb nuts with melted brie on toast.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
For years now I have collected road kill pheasants, (used to shoot as well). I save some for Christmas dinner,. Lovely grub.
Only just finished last years scrumped apples, and this years as well, should have saved some for Christmas.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Sloe port?
Never tried that, how is it made? A variation of the sloe gin method?

Dave
Yes, I've never made it before, but I made a gallon of port and thought after the first taste it may be a bit insipid, so bunged in to a 2lt bottle a zilo of berries (they may be bullaces) and 500grs of sugar, it's been sitting in the dare for 4 months hopefully it will be ok.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm going to head out and see if i can't bag some pheasants this christmas and do a roast of my own, saves me attempting to eat the mother in laws turkey which ends up dryer then a packet of silica gel.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
venison shot by me
Pigs in pheasants (like pigs in blankets but with a thin pheasant blanket) Our pigs and pheasant shot by me.
sloe gin
and home grown veg

lovely

Sam

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Doesn't really count as foraging, but I've got a pretty promising crop of sprouts on the allotment, a sack of homegrown tatties, and several jars of pickled runner beans... Ma has already acquired a brace of pheasant, but I'm not sure exactly where from. :)

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Christmas dinner as supplied by one of these, home hatched and grown,

Usually followed, boxing day, or New Years day by a road kill Pheasant, (roads permitting) or rabbit supplied by some lamping!

Um um.
geese.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Mmmmm... getting hungry now!

Sloe and bullace gin... gorse wine (if it turns out to be any good!) crab apple and chilli Jelly for the cold meats, and the fruit from the rumtopf for desert. :) trying to think what else I could rustle up... still some wild herbs around so they'll get used somehow, and pasnips from the garden... oh and MASSES of dried cep from our bumper haul this year... not sure how they're going to feature, but I'm sure we'll find a way! :D

Love to hear of any ideas I haven't thought of...

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.

You never know, some of the members may send you some samples of their foraging as a christmas thank you. :christmas2:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE