Supercat success

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've been toying with the idea of a stove-that-does-everything-I-want for a while now. I don't really live in a place where open fires are a possibility, so I've been after a system that will offer wood burner capabilities (which are a bit more feasible) plus the ability to act as an alcohol burner for those times when a wood fire just isn't going to happen.

I already have a lixada wood gasifier - the cylindrical one, not the fire box. I've discovered that my 750ml pot fits inside the woodburner, so long as the top pot support ring is removed. This is a great discovery. It means I can put a supercat alcohol stove made from a catfood tin on the ground inside the lixada, with the pot resting directly on the supercat, and largely shielded by the lixada. So no need for an additional windbreak.

For those who aren't aware, the supercat is a 85g cat food tin with two rows of holes punched round the outside. Once lit, the alcohol boils within a minute, at which point the pot or pan can be placed directly onto the stove. This forms a seal so that the expanding gases are forced out the holes.

I've run some tests and achieved a boil time of 6:45 for 500 ml water, which I'm quite happy with. This used a shade over 20ml of methanol and the methanol ran out just at boil, so realistically it requires 30 ml for this volume, I would say.

Any comments, criticisms or suggests are very welcome :)

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've had zero luck posting pics on previous threads. I'll take some photos later and have another go. I am very aware that a picture paints a thousand words...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've had zero luck posting pics on previous threads. I'll take some photos later and have another go. I am very aware that a picture paints a thousand words...

There’s a Test thread you can muck about in.

I used to have to use Postimage, but now I tap on the button above the message box that looks like a little picture and it opens up a box where I can access my photos and select the one I want. It’s much easier.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Try Postimage. No account or login needed, but it’s there if you want to create one.

Somewhere here there’s a guide to posting photos using Postimage. I’d look, but I’m in need of a snooze. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE