Supercat Stove - Uk equivalent of Fancy Feast Aluminium Can.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FishMark

Aug 29, 2014
South Downs
I'm going to have a go at a supercat stove. I'd like to stick as close as possible to the Jim Wood design with a Fancy Feast Aluminium Can. (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat2/)

Rightly or wrongly I *would* like to stick to Aluminium.

So what's the nearest equivalent aluminum UK cat food can to the Fancy Feast can here:

Metric-large.gif

TIA!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Alu cans are not common here (UK), but the pressed steel cans work very well.
Here's one I made earlier...

attachment.php

Attachments

• catstove.jpg
    catstove.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 255

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm sure the fancy feest i made is an alu tin, i just showed my mrs a couple google pics and asked her to pick me up a tin that size, cant remember the brand now though+

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
You should place the lower ring of holes higher, or the capacity will be very limited. I usually, like Widu13, do them by eye . A good improvement is to use some glass fibre string/wick to tie around the stove just below the lower holes, and place the ends through the hole and drop into the alcohol. This gives a wick which will light much more easily, will encourage fast blooming, particularly in cold weather . Over here, this is a super cat stove. A fancy feast is used for a different stove where a tomato paste can is placed inside a fancy feat can with no holes, and the space between them filled with a pad of cabon felt as a wick. MOst users believe this to be a better stove. Check Hiram Cook on YouTube under fancy feest and for the wicked super cat under modified super cat. A good feature of the super cat with wick is that it can be lit with the cook pot in place. Carbon felt can most easily be sourced as plumber's soldering mat, or welder's mat. It is very good material for wicks and insulation for DIY alcohol stoves

FishMark

Aug 29, 2014
South Downs
Thanks for all the comments - all considered and digested!

"Gourmet Gold" 85g Cat food matches the dimensions above and seems flimsy enough to hole punch.

I bought a few so will try a few different hole configurations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE