TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So what do you guys + gals think?

[video=youtube;O_n1_-seZkU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n1_-seZkU[/video]

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I like it, but if this is in a private woods as it would seem, why bother with the tarp ? other than that, good job :)

I think she is intending to stay out over Winter in it and to be fair it look like its possibly Northern Europe.
I think if I was intending to stay over winter in one I'd most definitely want a Tarp , and the Mylar to reflect the heat back onto me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If she has all that timber, the tools and the time, and a tarp, why not just built a bender ? or a yurt ? or a geodesic dome ?

M

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah I didn't explain myself properly, i meant if it's a long term shelter why bother with a tarp when you've done so much out of wood you could have gone the extra mile but as you say if she's staying over winter the reflective surface will be a boost to staying warm, a bigger wood store kept dry as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nowt wrong with the effort, just one has to wonder why she built herself a corral, when we know that humanity in it's thousands of years of experience, generally does otherwise :dunno:

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If she has all that timber, the tools and the time, and a tarp, why not just built a bender ? or a yurt ? or a geodesic dome ?

M

You could just rig a parachute over the lot and get enclosed :)
Perhaps she, like me, likes to live in the open air, most of the time, when out in the woods - I do not think I would choose a fully enclosed shelter over an "open" shelter unless the weather was solidly awful and her version of a Super Shelter looks snug for foul weather:Adding a chute over the whole lot would give extra rain cover and a dry admin area and make it tick all the boxes for me :)
I wonder how super her loo facilities are - my camp loo makes do with parasilk side walls against wind and visibility - I am about to add a parasilk roof for the coming wet season.
As I rely on trench latrines the set up needs to be movable.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It's a great shelter for what it is, but I had to laugh when she said it was camouflaged.... as long as you're approaching it from one angle, then yes, it sort of blends in... but any other angle or from the air it is obvious it isn't natural and it sticks out like a sore thumb. If the aim was for it to blend in, and considering the amount of effort she's gone to, why not dig into the hillside and make it properly blend in? She could have added a small tube-like tunnel at the front to funnel air to the fire but with a way of blocking it when not needed.

I'm with John on the parachute to finish it off... it's the perfect shape and size for it and as John pointed out, gives you more workable space in wet weather.

One thing that does puzzle me is the hunting chair... its looks fixed in one place... why would you want it fixed?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ahh... I misheard her.. just listened to it again... certainly makes more sense than a 'Road Feet Heater' which is what I thought she said. :rolleyes:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I mean, what is she expecting?

Dinosaurs?

A roman legion?

Ewoks?

(If its the last, she has no hope of survival, they climb trees.)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
She did better than those guys on the Alone series. i'll give her 7 out of 10. deducting 3 points because the fire was too close to the plastic sheet. Shrink wrapped springs to mind.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I mean, what is she expecting?

Dinosaurs?

A roman legion?

Ewoks?

(If its the last, she has no hope of survival, they climb trees.)

These things. She's in Austria.
Hunt-Wild-Boar-Austria-2_zpsom1mlwcq.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE