Supa Light Cook-Set !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I've always been a fan of the Trangia type stoves, and this morning my Evernew Ultralight Titanium Alcohol Stove arrived, so as this now completes my "titanium" brew kit I thought I'd better make a brew and turn it into a mini reveiw!!! Never done one before, so please bear with me!!! :lol:

007-2.jpg

This kit consists of:
Evernew Titanium Solo Cookset,
Evernew Titanium Trivet
Evernew Titanium Ultralight Stove.

Total weight including mesh stuff sack .......... 8oz Yep!!! 8oz :D

Pack size is 4" Diameter and 4 3/4" Tall

001-12.jpg

(not including the spoon!!!)

The stove has clear internal markings for 1fl oz and 2 fl oz which I think is a good idea. As I'd never used it I filled it to the 2 fl oz mark for this first outing.
Filled the pot with 400 ml which is the max capacity of the cup. Off we went!!

004-7.jpg

With the lid on and in fair conditions and a slight swirling breeze the stove brought the water to a rolling boil in 6 min 28 sec's. I then let the stove to carry on burning!! You can't blow it out !!! It continued to burn for a total of 10 min 34 sec's

006-3.jpg

I am especially impressed with the flame spread of this stove as the two sets of holes - on two different levels, gives off a far better flame than the Trangia. Also it suits the trivet far better, as the bottom flame holes are just that bit further from the pot base.

002-11.jpg

Over all I'm very impressed at the performance at this little set-up especially the weight!!! which is what I was after - being genetically lazy by nature, and don't want to carry more than I need to!!!

Now the down side!! The total cost of this set-up is £102.97 !!!! I personally think that it's worth it considering other "lightweight" gas or multifuel stoves" in the same price bracket. If you needed a bigger pot for longer sessions, then all of this will fit inside the Evernew 900 ml pot without the addition of much more weight.

You can get all the info and more here: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/default.asp

I have no affiliation to the above retailer - just a happy customer!!!

Hope you enjoyed the above :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Excellent kit - I have that exact same setup and it is superb. I dont think ultralight cooking kits get any better than this. I particularly like the stove and agree, the lower ring of burner holes does make it burn hotter and more efficient.

evernew005.jpg

[video=youtube;sYHbfwcP61s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYHbfwcP61s&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I use mine with a clickstand wind shield cut down in length to make a smaller circle and it's perfect.
You can't blow it out !!!
No you cant. But you can snuff it out using a trangia simmer ring. ;)

Good gear. The cup works well with a gas burner too....

fastandlight001.jpg

fastandlight010.jpg

fastandlight009.jpg

fastandlight007.jpg

PS - the Evernew DX stand is rubbish, avoid!

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Yeh martyn, I heard that too(about the dx stand) - I'm just waiting on my windsheild to arrive, and I'm considering getting the 900ml pot just in case I have the chance to stay out a bit longer :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I quite like the pots but I'd prefer to use my Mini Atomic, Bob sells the pots alone for £53 which doesn't sound as harsh as £100

Cheers for the pics, might invest in a set come pay day

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Very nice review, and very nice piece of kit. Pricey though. In a similar vein,I would love a Porsche 911 Turbo, but make do with a 9 year old Honda Civic. SO with my "trangia" cook system, I have what is called a Lexmark cook set (called Clas Ohlson in EIrope) which is a copy of the Optimus 77 Storm cooker. That weighs 19 oz and cost USD 19. Bur my ghetto super light system for backpacking is a super cat stove and a 5" (13 cm) diameter very light aluminium pot that I found in a thrift store for USD 1.99.
WIth a recycled yoghurt cup weighing about 1 gram, and an Al foil wind shield, my total weight is just over 3 oz. It seems I'm not allowed to add pictures, so you can see them at my web site: http://espressopaulo.com/11.html

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations on lightweight gas burners (preferably the type that sits next to the cannister as a separate stand, not on top). I normally use a homemade pop can meths stove, but I'm fed up of the faff with meths. Gas is just easier to set up and go.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The windpro is not much cop on account of efficiency and wind protection too. Heard it is not good at all.

Express Spider is good at 198g and an efficient burner. Think you will get a 500ml boil for about 6g use which is pretty good. Same burner as the express stove but its remote can with pre-heater.

Also check out the edelrid Opilio as it is as good as the express spider but only 178g. That is as light as some can top stoves.

I also saw Nevissport are selling a remote can stove weighing 236g (a bit heavier) but it is £25 compared to closer 50 or even more.

hope that helps Chris. BTW I use a can top (old style micron). Works well with its PZ ignition. Never fails to go from cold water to a boil in about 3-4 minutes.

I personally have just switched to meths. Got can stove as part of the AGG cookset, never got on with that system. Got a Whitebox Stove and it is pretty good. Burns well and uses very little meths to get aa 500ml bpoil on in about 4-5minutes or less!! Cracking stove and one for someone to switch from gas to meths for the first time as its performance is close to a can top stove. BTW it is also unstable like the can top stove but at least it can have a windshield all the way around the pot and up the sides which is more efficient. I'd also consider the excellent caldera cone too. Best system out there I reckon. I'm about to switch to get a Rodir alcohol stove. Google it. It only came out from a cottage industry guy in Scotland in February. Best descriibed as a chimney meths stove but it has wire suupports/pot supports that are kinda like smaller versions of the dragonfly mulit fuel stove from MSR. Good for bigger pots.

As far as weight of kit. Try the WBS with an AGG 3 cup Al pot. The pot is 110g (mine is 97g) the WBS is 30g with windshield and base another 30g (less if you cut the windshield down to fit your pot without excess foil or if you switch to lighter foil). The potgrab is either a fleece or more likely a potgrab from a minitrangia clone kit, a bent bit of metal weighing next to nothing. I carry either alpkit myti-cup or a plastic cup that weighs slightly less. If camping I carry a very light flip top bottle of meths or for a brew kit it is a tiny bottle that only carries enough to boil water for two mug fuls (if on one boil for two people). Of course I could swap the stove to a can top gas stove and total weight goes up.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product230.asp?PageID=99

A caldera cone can be lighter even if you use a proper Ti or Al pot. BTW my AGG 3 cup pot has the same capacity as my Vargo Ti-lite titanium mug style pot but is actually slightly lighter so Ti is not always better.

BTW get a Caldera Keg stove/pot kit. IIRC it weighs 77g all in. That is pot, stove and caldera cone windshield!!

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/trail_designs_caldera_keg_f_stove_system.html

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Can recommend the Evernew solo cook set, bought one myself a few months ago and really enjoy using it. OK so I am using it on a gas stove, but not got the funds for the evernew burner and trivet at moment.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Make your own can stove eel28 and go meths. If I can make one then anyone can. Seriously easy.

I'm considering getting a Rodir alcohol stove at about £27 delivered and about 100g or so for burner with 4 wire stand / pot stand and windshield I reckon I can't go too wrong. I am using a whitebox stove of late but it is very tippy so I'm willing to increase stove weight by 40g in exchange for serious pot and stove stability. However I know there was a post about this stove recently but not heard anything more about it. Anyone else got the Rodir?

BTW I am finally switching to meths hence the Rodir stove purchase. I've finally got used to it now.

Aug 13, 2011
sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations on lightweight gas burners (preferably the type that sits next to the cannister as a separate stand, not on top). I normally use a homemade pop can meths stove, but I'm fed up of the faff with meths. Gas is just easier to set up and go.

Epigas Alpine.....:)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yep... loving the stove. The nice thing is If I'm bolting water, I use the trivet and it really pumps out the heat. Cooking pasta or rice, I just use the stove and its a nice mellow heat that works perfectly.

Not the cheapest of stoves, but worth the outlay IMHO. I went with a 600ml pan rather than the cookset, and bought the mug to complete. All really nicely made!

al.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
cheers guys, didn't realise the separate burner/stand style gas stoves would weigh so much. I was really after that design for stability, but might well look into other can top style burners.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Make your own can stove eel28 and go meths. If I can make one then anyone can. Seriously easy.

I'm considering getting a Rodir alcohol stove at about £27 delivered and about 100g or so for burner with 4 wire stand / pot stand and windshield I reckon I can't go too wrong. I am using a whitebox stove of late but it is very tippy so I'm willing to increase stove weight by 40g in exchange for serious pot and stove stability. However I know there was a post about this stove recently but not heard anything more about it. Anyone else got the Rodir?

BTW I am finally switching to meths hence the Rodir stove purchase. I've finally got used to it now.

Have made a Lynx deo can stove, as you say, dead easy :) needs a bit of refinement though, and just like your whitebox is a bit of a balancing act :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I decided it was easy to make one but to make a good one it is harder. So I use my WBS instead. Until I get a caldera cone or keg set or a Rodir stove. Can't decide which yet.

BTW anyone got a caldera keg set and if they have how durable is it? I know my AGG can stove is not too durable but I am more worried about the important part of that set the cone and the Fosters keg pot for it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
BTW anyone got a caldera keg set and if they have how durable is it? I know my AGG can stove is not too durable but I am more worried about the important part of that set the cone and the Fosters keg pot for it.

I didn't get the keg kit but went for the normal one to fit my Terra Nova pot. I've got a couple of Heinnie pots which I use some times and they're standing up well to knocks so far, I just use a wire mesh pot stand over my Mini Atomic or DIY stoves.The newer cones have a titanium sleeve insert now which I think was the weak point on the older ones, the ally is pretty tough but I still like to carry mine in the caddy. The lump of the caddy is a bit of a pain for me, once I've packed my pot with the Bushbuddy inside I don't really want another wedge of space for more cooking stuff. I'm toying with wrapping it round my top quilt dry bag but then it doesn't up small either because of the shape of the cone, it's pretty much a flat c-shape which likes to get longer as you roll it.

We need a night in the Lakes so we can look at each others kit :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE