Sunday Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A week or so a go i had an almost brand new bandsaw blade snap on the weld, man did it go with a bang :), rather than throw it away i thought id make myself a bucksaw / basic turning saw using the bandsaw blade, today was that day.

The broken blade, 1/4" wide and 6 tpi

20180204_155517 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

First job, make the uprights, for these i used a couple of old 1" Hazel rake handles i made ages ago and that have been gathering dust in the workshop ever since, i cut them down to 11" long, handily i had already drilled hanging holes in each one, so these were to be the tops for the windlass.

20180204_144031 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Next to make the spreader bar, i cut a length of Hazel and took it down from 1" thick to 3/4" with the rounding plane, i then cut a 1/2" tenon on each end that would mate with a 1/2" mortice on the uprights.

20180204_143216 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20180204_144138 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20180204_155608 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Next job, cut the saw blade down to length, heat the ends to soften the metal and drill two 2mm holes, then i ripped a blade slot in the end of each upright and installed the blade on a couple of pins, the pins are not fixed as blade tension should keep them in there, if they work loose during use, i'll replace with a small machine screw.

20180204_160047 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Finally install the cord, make a windlass from another piece of hazel, assemble and use.

20180204_160039 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

works really well

Last edited:
Reactions: zornt

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I like the idea of making a whole new tool rather than waste one little bandsaw blade :D That's the sort of thing I do! A frame saw has been on my to do list for ages, I really must get around to it. Nicely done :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I like the idea of making a whole new tool rather than waste one little bandsaw blade :D That's the sort of thing I do! A frame saw has been on my to do list for ages, I really must get around to it. Nicely done :)

Just seemed such a waste to throw a new blade in the bin, guess most of us on BCUK are the last of the make do and mend generation

Reactions: Hunkyfunkster
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Ace tool! nice and compactable too, I was going to damascus my broke blades but you have feed the thought for another option. I was wondering do you get twist in the blade over long use?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Lovely new tool! I think you're right that many of us on BCUK would be loathe to throw away a broken nearly new blade. I keep all manner of broken drill bits and the like, just in case they come in useful some day.

Reactions: Kepis

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They are lovely tools to use, i use them to make dowels, chair & stool legs, rake handles the lot

I'd never seen one before and was going to ask what it was. Luckily I read on, and now understand the manufacture of our old kitchen chairs. Lovely tool, used to make another. Impressed. :)

Reactions: Kepis

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE