Sun Power

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I've seen similar - a common one was to use the little toshiba libretto with a sat phone and roll up solar panels dangling from your rucksack

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Does it need direct sunlight or can it charge from daylight?
With a lot of these solar power things they need to be in direct sunlight.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The vast majority of soalr panels are ultra-violet (UV) light powered. UV penetrates cloud but is also attenuated by that cloud, or rain. So, solar panels will charge in cloudy weather but not as quick.

The issue, actually, is whether your solar panel is outside, or inside. What do I mean by this? Well, most glass is manufactured with a UV filtration effect - ie, it blocks UV to reduce glare and the sunburn effect. This also means that a portable solar charger will take 5-6 times as long to charge if it is behind a window, even on sunny days.

So, the question is now actually, can I put my solar charging panel outside?

I've been using the Freeloader with a Supercharger external panel (called the 'Globetrotter' system when sold together), which is weatherproof, and it works well. Very Ronseal - the charge timings are just as it says in the manual. However, even with the bigger panel, it still takes much, much longer to charge if it is behind a window.

Freeloader won't charge anything with a battery as big as a laptop's but it will charge my Blackberry, my iPod, and my PSP. I also have the additional battery charger which means I can charge AA or AAA batteries too.

I really like this system but, as I haven't used any of the other makes (like Powermonkey), I can't comment on how it stacks up against the competition.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Cool! Nice one Globetrotter!

Bilko - don't take my word for it - have a look at some of the other systems available too. There's one called the 'PowerMonkey' and there's also one I saw in one of our Forums called 'Recharge4', or something like that. There's a few around, some cheaper than others.

I'd be interested to see what Globetrotter thinks of the Freeloader...

Tiger Eyes

Dec 3, 2007
Norfolk
I just bought a 13w briefcase charger from here http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-prodshow/SS936A.html, I am bringing it to the moot to charge our lantern and if neededI the kids DS Lite's eventually we will get a 12v battery to run a cooler and top it up with the solar power, There is a bigger 28w version I don't know if thats bif enough for a lappy but it's a lot more money
Does anyone know the cheapest place to get the baterry charging componant as I thought £24 was a bit pricey

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE