Summer Sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
My current sleeping bag is around 2kg (Highlander Echo 350), it'll handle the lowest temperatures I'm likely to be out in. Although I don't mind the bulk/weight too much in the colder weather, there's no point is carrying it in summer.

Criteria:
Fits 6'2", 240lb (108kg) man
Usable in UK summer temperatures (late spring and early autumn if I supplement with clothing)
<1kg
<£100, but preferably more like £40-50!

Any recommendations appreciated!

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Snugpak Softie Elite 1 or 2, tough as old boots, around £70 or so, allow about up to an extra 3 to 5c to their stated temp ranges I would suggest.

Recently purchased the 2 version and pleased with it, but wondering if the 1 would have been adequate and that bit lighter and smaller. I have a 3 for colder times of the year.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks Paul, I've heard good things about the Snugpak bags. Do you think the expanding Softie bags give a lot more comfort over the Travelpak? I noticed when comparing the Travelpak 1 vs the Softie Elite 1, the travelpak is 150g lighter, slightly smaller when packed, £35 cheaper with the same temperature rating claims... but that's all useless if it's really uncomfortable! :D

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Try the issue Lightweight MCSS sleeping bag. You can get them new off ebay for £40. Its a bit thicker than the Snugpak jungle bag but packs down nice and small.

Sep 2, 2016
BC, Canada
The Snugpak Jungle bag is good a option as its small, somewhat lightweight, and can be unzipped and used as a blanket if it gets really warm. Also a good item to layer your other bag with since the jungle bag is so thin.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks Paul, I've heard good things about the Snugpak bags. Do you think the expanding Softie bags give a lot more comfort over the Travelpak? I noticed when comparing the Travelpak 1 vs the Softie Elite 1, the travelpak is 150g lighter, slightly smaller when packed, £35 cheaper with the same temperature rating claims... but that's all useless if it's really uncomfortable! :D

I'm not familiar with the Travelpak to be honest, but the Softie Elite versions work well for me as they have the expander panel which, being on the chunkier side, allows me to zip them up properly where I struggle with most other bags ! Don't know if the Travelpak has that or if you don't need it yourself ?

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
When night temps are above 15C i tend to sleep with just a light fleece blanket and mosquito net; you can also get fleece sleeping bag liners that work well (both from about 10£

Anything from 12-15C and a cheapo sleeping bag does the job nicely for me (20£ easy)

Everyone is different though, its important to remember that the temps individuals find comfortable are not the same person to person

Only when temps go below 12ish or its particularly windy, do i pull out my 900g down bag (which can be layered with the cheapo synthetic and/or fleece for extra warmth)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've been using a Snugpak Travelpak Traveller for the last 5 or 6 Summers, almost always in an army bivybag under a tarp, and have been very happy with it. An Argos £10 polyester liner adds a little warmth & keeps it clean, and a Snugpak Thermalon liner will stretch it out half a season either way.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
+1 for the Snugpak jungle blanket if it is just for summer use, got one this summer, great bit of kit, used it in climbing huts well into autumn, for the money its a steal, weighs nowt, takes up almost no space. Massively i pressed, and it is not often I say that about kit ......

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
For summer, i just use a cheap synthetic bag (and a UK goretex bivy). It's a 12C comfort, 9C limit bag, and i've taken it down to 5C (which would be the limit, i slept well, but did feel a bit chilly when i woke up. Would have been just right if i hadn't forgotten my baselayers ;). Lafuma Active 45 for those who are interrested in which one. 650gr. )

Lacijag1

Forager
When night temps are above 15C i tend to sleep with just a light fleece blanket and mosquito net; you can also get fleece sleeping bag liners that work well (both from about 10£

Anything from 12-15C and a cheapo sleeping bag does the job nicely for me (20£ easy)

Everyone is different though, its important to remember that the temps individuals find comfortable are not the same person to person

Only when temps go below 12ish or its particularly windy, do i pull out my 900g down bag (which can be layered with the cheapo synthetic and/or fleece for extra warmth)

i made myself a sleeping bag out of a large fleece blanket, it is great. cost me £12 and about 1 hour to make it. i used it in late september this year in 10C, it was fine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Another vote for the new Brit Army modular lightweight bag - it's a really nice bag, light but with some insulation, like an improved US MSS patrol bag. I had a few good nights in mine this year, very impressed and big improvement on the jungle bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE