summer carbs help????

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what forms of natural carbs can i get during the summer months, i know nuts etc are around later in the year but what about the summer.......

any ideas?????

come on Toddy brief me up....lol....ha ha ha ha ha

regards...

chris.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
lol@ Rik.

There's pignuts but they require a lot of work. I wonder if there are any edible wild legumes. I'm thinking something like tares.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i know bull rush or reed mace is good but thats not in my area so bummer.....:(

locum76, what does pig nut require to be done to it and how big are they is it worth it???????

thanks...

chris..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pignut's not at it's best just now. The little celandine though.....it's flowered and gone over here, but the roots are full and fat....you did notice where they were when they were flowering, didn't you ? so you know where it's worth digging ? :D (well it is near me)
The reedmace is about to burst into the yellow pollen rich heads. Just gently ease one into a bag and rattle it about a bit. It'll fill up with golden protein :D, and since you haven't damaged the head it'll still produce more pollen and get on with things :approve: It's amazing how much you get from a dozen heads :cool: just add to flour and use in baking.
Lots of fruits, lots of leafy things. Peas are ripening, but my cereals aren't anywhere near ready. The little wood millet however is in full fat seed just now and it's lovely :D like mini flax seeds or sunflower hearts. Thistle stems are full and juicy, worth roasting just now too. I got some seed heads from the giant plantain this week too, and the fat hen is a perennial munchy through Summer :)

Not a lot of heavy carbs, (unless you really do have access to early spuds and neeps) but lots of sweetness and loads of protein around for me at this time.

There are a great many people much more able to forage than I am :) hopefully they'll see the thread and post :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
dandelion roots, wild parsnips / carrots (may be later on i guess) some berries are also popping up red currants are nearly ripe
also sugary tree saps and if your really adventurous raid some honey

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hmm also saw someone once collection some form of grass seed heads for flour production although quite laborious
but the body will break down protein and fats to the same effect as carbs so fish and meat can still be on the mainstay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE