Suitable HD Wood Burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Looking for a wood burner suitable for use in my Helsport Finnmark.

What do you recommend I purchase or avoid?

Thanks

K

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
what size is your telt?

I have a Bergans lavvo 4-6 and I use a frontier stove. It works really well but being as your tent is plastic you definitely want a good spark arrestor.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
6-8 but frankly I consider it a comfortable two-person tipi using carp fisherman folding beds.

Can’t decide if to go for full central positioning (adjacent erection pole with flue pipe straight up) or somewhere further to the side and punch a hole in the tent and use one of those stove jack kits.

K

Reactions: FerlasDave

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I prefer fully central positioning. Not only are you not potentially compromising the water proofing of your telt, but you’re also less dictated to on how you set up as you can move things round a little more. If you want to be pedantic too if will allow the chimney to flow better as it will have no interference from the telt if it’s above the highest point of the structure.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I have the Varanger 12-14 and use the dedicated Helsport stove.
But that stove is very heavy and not really suited to human powered travel, also I find Helsports stated capacity optimistic for sleeping [ especially if you need to use a cot] as you say above; but the central position works best for me and my mates

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I have the Varanger 12-14 and use the dedicated Helsport stove.
But that stove is very heavy and not really suited to human powered travel, also I find Helsports stated capacity optimistic for sleeping [ especially if you need to use a cot] as you say above; but the central position works best for me and my mates
I’ll take a look but I gain the impression Helsport kit is no longer imported to the UK. At least Tamarack Outdoors have dumped them - the outfitters I acquired my tipi from.

K

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
And Helsport now make a lot of their gear in China so maybe the quality will slip a bit. When the centre pole of my lavvu buckled in a violent microburst the customer service I received was less than inspiring

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE