Suitable container for meths?

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Just wondering if these kinds of bottles were ok to store meths in.

010058.jpg

Cheers

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I would go for one like that harry as long as it is lined inside and i also preffer my fule bottles to say fuel bottle on the outside so there no mixing them up with drinks botles of the same type but you can always paint "fule" or "meths" on the outside in a suitabel colur paint or nail varnish ( mask your mum first befor you go raiding her stash mine didn't lik it one bit when i used to do it

this is one of the ones i have
64001800.jpg

you can also use plastic pop bottles and strengthen them with gaffa tape befor you go out the will be lighter and you can use the gaffer if you need it when out and about

James

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Lined with what? It's just I picked one up for a quid. Good tip with the labelling - I bought a purple one to look more methsy, and I can always write "fuel" on the side with a marker!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Might be worth testing it to make sure that the meths doesn't leak or corrode anything just in case. You don't really want to end up with a rucksack full of meths.

But having said that, I'm not sure of the chemistry so it might be perfectly fine as it is.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
lined with the same sort of lacquer that is on the outside if it is just aluminium the meths can eat it away over time ( i guess it has to be a relativly long time) and make a hole in your bottle it's never happened to me (the old fule bottles were just plain aluminium) but apparently this is what can happen

James

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
There's nothing wrong with an Alloy Sigg bottle Clone, as long as you do not store Meths in it Long Term (more than a Month or so) as Meths eats Alloy!

Ask me how I know this. :p

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I bought mine from pound land and got several which work fine, Purple for meths, Green for unleaded petrol and Blue to drink out of. They are about half litre and small enough to fit in your pocket of a jacket. I have had mine 18 months and have yet to leak.

A good buy!!!!!!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
wow bog i've got an old sig bottle thats had meths in as an experimanet for the last 2 years!!! and there aint no hole in it yet!!!! i wonder if the new ones are made of lower quality/ different alloy ow and by old i mean produced in the very early 90 maybe even late 80'sJames

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
The Bottle I had (Sigg silver .5l Fuel) was bought in the late 80's and left on a shelf with Meths in it for over a year.

When I finally picked it up, it crumpled up and ripped open, leaving a blob of evil smelling metallic gunge dripping down the shelving onto the floor. :D

If you are worried about this (and I am not) then store Meths in it's original container till you need it and then fill your bottle.

Trangia also make Fuel bottles specifically for Meths.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product...CAMPFUEL&cid=VSTOH98Y6CCAV0LEQMYHLAZ72U38DDYF

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I used Meths for over 25 years and most bottles give up, split or leak eventually.

My current bottle is the Trangia one, OK so at £9 they are not cheap but its solid as a rock, and you have to try really hard to get a spill.

By the way the cheapest meths I can find rund here is 99p for 500ml from the local cash and carry or £1.49 from Wilkinson. Homebase and B&Q were over £3!!

Z

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your better off with a plastic bottle or a dedicated Trangia bottle. The meths can have a bad effect on the seal of some fuel bottles in my experience. Never had meths mess up the bottle todate though ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have 3 "meth-ods" :rolleyes: sorry!

1 just take it in the container it was sold in!

2 i have 2 tiny bottles designed to hold sterile water to wash contact lenses, together they'd hold half a pint ish, good thing is they have a squirty top so no more spilt bottles you forgot to close! also you can direct the fuel if using it to light a fire!

3 i have 2 bottles origionally hand wash soap containers (with a push button on top) like the sort you probably have in your bathroom.
the re-fills come with a sealed lid. after use i cleaned them both really well, they hold i guess 1 liter which is more than enough for a weekend.
2 will cover a week easily!
good thing is they're see though so you don't have to guess how much is left, they are squashy, not brittle), and i'm not and no one else going to accidently drink from them as they are nothing like sigg bottles!
they've seen -7 degrees, and +30 and they are safe!
and free i've been useing them for 4 years with no problems!!
another i have (the same type contains unleadeed petrol for my MSR stove, again no problems! and you can see which is petrol and meths!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't know how I manage to get allong with using the standard placky bottles the meths comes in...
What do you lot do with the bottles? Chuck them off cliffs :confused:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Since i've already got this bottle, which is light, durable, and sealed I think I'll just put the meths in there when needed, and store in the plastic bottle. The sigg (that's the word I've been looking for!) bottle is cheap enough anyway. Thanks for the help!

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i get my 85% alcohol (sold as brandspritis) for 85 to 90 euro cent for a liter...

I keep mine in the bottle you get with the Swedish army " trangia". It hasn't failed yet and stores nicely, because of it's flat shape.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Don't forget to thin your meths down with 10% water and avoid soot build up.

I have no idea how this works or why but I am sure that somebody is about to tell me, along with somebody else telling me that this is old hat and not to do it ;)

Z

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
Zodiak said:
Don't forget to thin your meths down with 10% water and avoid soot build up.

I have no idea how this works or why but I am sure that somebody is about to tell me, along with somebody else telling me that this is old hat and not to do it ;)

Z

Works for me! (and actually says to do this on the yellow bags that new trangia burners come in).

Matt

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
demographic said:
I don't know how I manage to get allong with using the standard placky bottles the meths comes in...
What do you lot do with the bottles? Chuck them off cliffs :confused:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

yup thats right at climbers cause their skiny and still climb and i'm a little over weight and haven't been on the rock for some time

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE