Suggestions for suitable boots for Aussie outback please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi all,

I'm planning on a trip to Oz this year to visit friends and incorporating a bush trip into the visit and was wondering if anyone could recommend suitable footwear?

Thanks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Lightweight yet comfy, the desert pattern Hitec Magnums. I have a set from my Army days, I still like to wear them in the summer as they are like slippers. They're good for creeping up on wildlife.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Probably not that helpful, but there might be some useful information in the imminent new RM series (early 2008 on BBC2 is all I've heard) - since he's walking across the outback...

What sort of activities are you planning? Any long-distance walking, or just a bit of a local 'walkabout'?

I'd guess the main things to consider include:
Type of terrain (Oz has lots of different bits - including some rain forest. I'm assuming it's desert-type terrain?)​

Ruggedness of terrain. (Thinking strength of sole, and protection from thorns and bitey-things)​

A quick google comes up with a couple options for desert stuff:

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr2350.html

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm (4th row of featured items)

http://www.tacboots.com/c-desert-boots.html?qts=google&qtk=dessert

I'd guess, since desert travel isn't that common a thing in the UK, you'd probably want to aim at the budget end of the scale (e.g. long-term ruggedness is probably less of an issue?)

Sorry I can't offer any direct advice, but I hope I can at least prompt a few ideas?

Variant 13

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Berkshire
Hi Matt,
It does depend on when and where you'll be. I spent 6 months in the bush in Victoria, this included rocky scrub, true desert and jungle-like forest.Although I had a pair of KSB's with me (very comfy, breathable, lightweight and waterproof), I tended to wear my Keen sandals most of the time (not quite as protective from bity things but they tended to keep their distance); very comfy, waterproof and with a superb sole unit.

The Aussie bush is truly a wonder of Nature and as long as your footwear is comfy I'm sure you'll have a marvellous time.

Graham

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
it would have to be my altbergs,i have several different make of boots ,these are the ones that would be going to the australian outback. they are handmade and did,nt take any breaking in at all .

K

KenC

I'd second the Altberg recommendation. Though I haven't got a pair of desert boots, their jungle boots are excellent, and I would certainly go to them if I was doing a similar trip. On the pricey side, but very very well made - and excellent service too.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks Chaps I really appreciate the input.

I really should have mentioned the following...

I will be going in our summer/their winter. I'm reckoning on around from 3 days to a week in the bush and not doing much mileage, maybe a few miles per day if that - basic mooching.

So as Dave said, it will be lower end kit forsaking real longevity in favour of price yet sturdy enough in case.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi Matt,

at the risk of sounding predictable, have you considered Rogue Rangers? They were designed for African outdoor's, surely they would be suitable? The Hi-Tec Amazon's are good and available at a good price. Miendl Desert Fox's, mentioned earlier have saturated the market recently so they seem to be going for a reasonable price. Altbergs are good, but pricey in comparison. You'd have to find a pair that you could use here as well as there, top boot's though. Merrel do good, lightweight outdoor/ approach trainers, boot's. Again, you'd have to shop around a little to get a decent price. Also, i find Merrels at the smaller end of the size spectrum so if you are a 9, i'd probably go for a 9 1/2.

You jammy git anyway, going to Oz. Don't forget, lot's of pictures, a full report on your return and i'll be expecting a stick of rock as well!:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I wore my Hitec dessies in Iraq during the winter. Imagine a cold autumn day with lots of rain. They dry out quick and do keep some water out. They're comfy from the off so don't need breaking in, come in sand or brown suede and can be picked up dead cheap.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
LOL cheers Jed.

One other item I need to take is some kind of lightweight digital dictIpodophone (I'm on my way to the grumpy old mens gang :naughty: ) so I'm able to give a running commentary at appropriate times which will allow me to transcribe the lot to a decent post - another first :rolleyes: :D

BOD

Matt,

Lots of good suggestions there esp. Spamels. Many Aussie bushies I know go for them.

However since you won't be in the bush long you may care to get something that you can wear around town.

There is an Aussie boot that, as far as I am concerned, is proven in the bush and needs little or no wearing in. I got mine last year for A$110. Thats the Redback Crazy Horse Alpine. They make traditional bush boots as well and the boots are made in OZ.

Here is a link to the NZ site (and NZ$ prices)

http://www.redbackboots.co.nz/products.htm

Enjoy oz its a great place

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
If your going out back most farmers, stockman ( the people you will be running into) wear slip on work boots of any brand,
eg
http://www.blundstone.com/
They are hard wearing, reasonably water poof and ( importantly ) easy to get on and off. Out bush blokes won't wear their work boots inside when they come in from the paddock.
Closer to bushwalking areas most folk wear ankle high hiking boots Not often will you run into wearing midcalf mil style boots.
Low boots, gaiters in wet areas, shorts even in winter ( depending where you go be aware Wearing shorts bushwalking in Winter in Tasmania will get you casevac'ed )
What may not have gotten to your part of the world is that we are having very high rainfall right now rivers are flooding towns are on stand by for evacuations Tonight!!!!
Not in Victoria tonight but if this is the weather change the're talking about keep that in mind. for later in the year.
I have a cousins wedding out west of Wannaring at Easter and I'll be in for some sh*te because I'm pretty confident I will be the only fella not wearing slip on boots ( I can't, my instep is too high to get them into a boot my size.) So I'll be wearing my Hi-tech low ankle hikers.
Don't wear sandles that will identify you as a pommy from a great distance. Thongs ( flip flops http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn...0CC596D3D269F97FD27F131800A80A55A1E4F32AD3138
are suitable after dinner in the home or to and from the shower, also very handy in the bed room or tent for pink misting spiders.
Does any of this help?
Carl

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Being the kind of guy I am, I wore my dessies this morning to drop the kids off at school. It's wet out there! I then had to cross the main road from Barnsley to Manchester which has a river running down it today! feet went under completely, I didn't hang around though but they were submerged for a second or so, then again on the return trip.

As a result, my feet feel slightly damp. I am wearing issue socks which are also slightly damp, but considering they aren't meant to be used for wading through streams they held up quite well. On the flip side, I take it that this means they will also allow the sweat produced by feet to pass through in hot weather. These boots are breathable and my walk down to the school was like being in slippers.

Experiment over!

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
This what you get when you go right out back.
The cousin that is geting married.
Thats him hidden at the back of the trough
and of course the foreman.
Carl
IMG_0560_4.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That seems like pretty decent terrain for walking on. Flat, sandy but looks pretty compacted, can't see any sneaky potholes being a problem! Your only concern is the lack of shade. Take a big hat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE