Suggestions for South Wales two days, overnighter + car

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Morning all,

I've just managed to clear my Monday and given I'm in Bristol for the weekend I would love to fit in a quick trip to S Wales Sun/Mon.
My ideal would be, drive to safe car park (pssibly at pub?) early Sun - full day walk to overnighter at YH or possibly camp, full day walk either back a different route or to public transport that gets me back.

I'm running short of time to organise so any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Matt.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The wye valley walk starts in Chepstow, just the other side of the old bridge...

PM me and I can show you a spot to leave the car. Its where I leave mine when I'm doing overnighters. Not had a problem yet!

A walk up the wye at this time of year will be stunning and there's buses that will bring you back down to the motor . al.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
The carpark by the caving club bunkhouse at Penwylt is an option. It's on the hill on the opposite side of the valley to Dan-y-ogof showcaves at grid SS 8561 1554.

The carpark is very secluded and in all the times I've been there I've only ever seen 1 camper van parked up overnight (I guess the doggers haven't found it yet!).

The carpark is on the Brecon Way path, leading straight through the Ogof Ffynnon Ddu nature reserve. Once through the reserve you can walk through the woods downstream and camp at the carpark at Pont Melin-fach (SN 9077 1050). On Monday you could walk the paths along the rivers and stop for brunch/lunch at the Angel Inn at Pontneddfechan (SN 9006 0762) before heading back upstream, taking the western fork up to the Henrhyd-isaf falls (SN 8559 1204) where they recently filmed some scenes for the new Batman film and passing through the Roman encampmnt on the way. You can then take the old tramway from the falls through the woods straight back to your car.

I havent done the whole round trip myself yet but I have walked most of the sections. On the whole it's not bad going, although there are no real paths between the Sgwd Gwladus waterfall at SN 8965 0927 and the bridge at SN 8798 0965, despite what it says on the map! There is some mud and cow trails!

Round trip is around 27km and runs over mountain moorland, through woods and alongside rivers and has a bit of road and a pub enroute :) Apart for the waterfalls around Pontneddfechan it's a very quiet route and can be fun with quite a bit of wildlife. If you dont fancy sleeping at the carpark you could keep on going past Sgwd Gwladus waterfall. There are a couple of nice spots to string up a hammock.

Use OS map OL12 as it'll cover the whole of the route.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
park in cardiff, get the bus to porthcawl, spend a couple of days walking back along the coast. it's a trip i've done a couple of times and one that i really enjoy (and not just because of the nudist beach en route!)

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE