suggestions for rucksack: durable/rugged as sabre but with mesh like opsrey atmos.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beech

Jun 23, 2015
surrey
Hello,

I don't know if such a thing exists, I'm wanting the earth here I think, but perhaps you guys can help me?

I'm after a bag that's as durable and rugged as the karrimor sabre range or fjallraven g-1000 fabric but with the back vent mesh system on the likes of osprey atmos and aura, with some outside pockets for storing bits such as phone, map, small waterbottle etc.

Any experience of the osprey atmos/aura range? how would it hold up bushwacking, i'd imagine it would end up ripped to shreds.

Something between 45- 65l , I prefer to have 1 go to bag that's bigger than I need and under pack it but be able to fill of a winter needs be rather than have a selection of several bags.

Brynglas

Not with mesh backs, but I'm a big fan of Aiguille Alpine sacks, not the cheapest but absolutely bombproof. I'm just in the process of ordering a 35L Geant from them. I've used their bags for a number of years and all have lived up to everything I've chucked at them, from general hillwalking to ski touring and travel. They may not be exactly what you're looking for but well worth checking out.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
You know the Fjallraven G1000 is far from the durability of the osprey packs? It's just a standard 35-65 cotton-poly blend. The cordura used for Sabre is a lot more durable. What do you expect to happen to your pack that you need to be able to have a tank drive over it and the pack still be in one piece (the content will be lost too in that case though, most likely :p). The osprey packs are plenty durable. People use them for months when hiking the Appalachian Trail and still use them afterwards. I have a stratos 36, and am very pleased with it. Looking into a bigger exos pack to use instead of my sabre (but only buy if i can try it on, so that's a bit of a problem here, since stores only stock the smaller exos).

As to the question itself: i've never seen a pack like that anywhere.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Just my opinion bit here goes.
For your needs (one pack to rule them all...)
I'd go for an expandable KARRIMOR SF, like the 60-100 or the 80-130 .
Super comfortable and bush proof.
In winter you can fit everything or if in the summer than you can lose the expansion...
Just my 2p.
Sorry if it's not very helpful

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
You know the Fjallraven G1000 is far from the durability of the osprey packs? It's just a standard 35-65 cotton-poly blend. The cordura used for Sabre is a lot more durable. What do you expect to happen to your pack that you need to be able to have a tank drive over it and the pack still be in one piece (the content will be lost too in that case though, most likely :p). The osprey packs are plenty durable. People use them for months when hiking the Appalachian Trail and still use them afterwards. I have a stratos 36, and am very pleased with it. Looking into a bigger exos pack to use instead of my sabre (but only buy if i can try it on, so that's a bit of a problem here, since stores only stock the smaller exos).

As to the question itself: i've never seen a pack like that anywhere.

G1000 comes in varying levels of thickness or denier. My kajka pack is very heavy duty more heavy than my sabre 30. Yet my g1000 vidda trousers are much lighter. Correct it is just polycotton. But very tightly woven and very hard wearing when you get the Heavy duty clothing or trekking backpacks.

I own several Fjallraven items across clothing and equipment. Some is very old some newer. G1000 is a great fabric and not all polycotton is created equal!

😃

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I agree that it's good, i have some pairs of pants myself from fjallraven (since they were on sale) but the Denier value, i dunno. Since we don't have any official value (not that i could find anyway), i have to go by similar fabrics. Which means the same poly/cotton blends. It's just thicker and that gives it it's strength. It doesn't feel any stronger or less strong and shows the same wear after wearing as the pants they replaced (35/65 blend too, cargo pants, random no name brand which i don't even remember where i bought them. Only difference is that they are heavier and thicker).

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Well... There's a Regatta Land Trekka 45Ltr up on Ebay at the moment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222295725188?clk_rvr_id=1117466472284&rmvSB=true
Strictly speaking it's a vintage pack but this one's in mint condition and they do have a rather good mesh/airflow back system. Very comfortable and well worth a punt at £20.
Another feature is that the hip-belt isn't stitched directly to the padding so you can add utility/canteen pouches to the belt.
I've owned the 35Ltr version for a while now without poking holes in it and though a tad small it's still my goto bag for summer weekenders. In fact half tempted to get this one myself lol

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've got a lowe alpine "air-zone" pack or something along those lines. Its excellent as a daysack and feels well made. Since the pack doesn't actually make much contact with your back ventilation is very good.

Tonyuk

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
My last (3 day) pack was a cheap 600D molle off ebay, lasted 6 years and lots of abuse, for less than £20 :lmao: changed the clips for metal ones (another tenner) but apart from that it lasted well...bargin :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE