Suggestions for Lens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello all,

Looking for a suggestion for my Wife's Birthday Present ,She has a Canon Powershot S5 IS ( 8 mega pixel ) which i think is a fairly standard camera(?)

I would like to get her an additional lens/zoom ( as you can tell I'm not hot on Camera speak! ) so that she can has additional range for longer distance shots, the camera currently has ( reading off front ) a 6.0 - 72.0mm 1:2.7 -3.5 USM 12 x.

What would be a good 'next step' up ?, Her camera isn't the be all of her life so Budget suggestions please, and where to get it from.

Thanks.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi Gregorach , Sorry , I 'm naive with Camera Kit , is that ( ie bargain bucket, cheap as chips ) likey to be total cack or something reasonable ( note ;- not fantastic or awesome )??

Genuine question

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've had decent results from the 1.7x teleconvertor(on the same camera). Wasn't expecting much but was quite surprised how well it worked considering the price.
You get heftier ones(up to 3x) but I reckoned best not. Much as I'd like a bigger lens cheap optics have a habit of getting worse the further you push them.

Quite a few of the photos on this thread are with the convertor maxed out.

The .45x wide angle convertor that you can get for it works quite well too. I've only used it a couple of times though, don't think I've any examples uploaded.
You can't replace the lens on the S5, it's fixed, all you can do is bung on convertors.
The adaptor ring is useful in itself, lets you use filters.

[Edit - More maxed-out piccies here]

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Hi Gregorach , Sorry , I 'm naive with Camera Kit , is that ( ie bargain bucket, cheap as chips ) likey to be total cack or something reasonable ( note ;- not fantastic or awesome )??

Genuine question

No idea mate, but I'd expect half-decent optics even at that price these days, and I'm pretty sure they're actually made by the same people. It's just that Honk Kong prices are so low, they can sell them at what seems like a silly price. The exact same lens will cost you double from the US.

I'm just waiting for delivery of a similar lens for my old A-80.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE