sugar fix

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Corn syrup is different from HF Corn syrup. Chemically and it digests differently. No manufacturer calls a product 'sugar free' if it contains HFCS?

I think you guys should spend a few minutes on how Krebs Cycle or Citric Acid Cycle works.

Glucose is THE fuel for our cells. We need it. If you eat sucrose, fat, proteins ( carbo hydrates of different lengths) they are all converted to Glukose by our enzymes.

Lose weight ? Burn more energy than you ingest. Can be done two ways. Move the same and eat less. Or, move more and eat the same.

It is all about energy intake and expediture., not some GI !

Glucose has a value of 100 because that is the base line.

GI is just a pointer, what is more important is the Glycemic load.

post removed & apologies to Janne & anybody else who may have read my rant... I am a **** ignore me

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes & way way more UnHealthySo High-fructose corn syrup is made from corn starch, which consists entirely of glucose. After the starch is extracted.
Sleekit manufacturers are covertly using HFCS as an ingredient in sugary drinks, & passing them off as "sugar free"....

Corn syrup is different from HF Corn syrup. Chemically and it digests differently. No manufacturer calls a product 'sugar free' if it contains HFCS?.....

Yep Janne. Nobody calls any of it "sugar free" nor "no sugar added" Nor are they allowed to. None the makers/distributors call it healthy (nor or they allowed to) It's used instead of table sugar (cane or beet sugar) solely for it's low cost. Even I know it's unhealthy although I might disagree on the reason (that low cost makes it exceedingly over used and cause an unhealthy overindulgence of such foods as candy and soft drinks due to the knock on low cost of them as well) I long ago switched to diet drinks but that still doesn't make it easy to avoid HFCS; it's just too ubiquitous.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like Janne and Ken This i also like honey when I use a real (vs artificial sweetener) I like the taste very much and it has another advantage over table sugar when sweetening tea or coffee: When drinking either sweetened with table sugar and eating a sweet desert such as cake or pie, the sweetness in the drink disappears. Not so when using honey; the drink retains it's sweet taste.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A natural Fruktose Glycose mix.?

That statement sounds a bit miss leading in order to produce agave syrup from the Agave americana and tequilana plants, the leaves are cut off the plant after it has been growing for seven to fourteen years. The juice is then extracted from the core of the agave, called the piña. The juice is filtered, then heated to break the complex components (the polysaccharides) into simple sugars. The main polysaccharide is called inulin or fructosan and is mostly fructose. This filtered juice is then concentrated to a syrupy liquid, slightly thinner than honey. Its color varies from light- to dark-amber, depending on the degree of processing......

Pretty much the same way ewe make cane syrup (although sugar cane is a single year crop) Cut the stalks, press the juice, boil the juice into syrup. Add crystallization and we get cane sugar. I miss seeing and visiting the cane mills

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Yep Janne. Nobody calls any of it "sugar free" nor "no sugar added" Nor are they allowed to. None the makers/distributors call it healthy (nor or they allowed to) It's used instead of table sugar (cane or beet sugar) solely for it's low cost. Even I know it's unhealthy although I might disagree on the reason (that low cost makes it exceedingly over used and cause an unhealthy overindulgence of such foods as candy and soft drinks due to the knock on low cost of them as well) I long ago switched to diet drinks but that still doesn't make it easy to avoid HFCS; it's just too ubiquitous.

Not actually said or implied, just me being a ****

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... One of the few vegetables that is not low-GI is the potato, which particularly when baked or mashed, ranks very high on the glycemic index.....

That's because, contrary to popular belief, potatoes aren't a "vegetable" Not nutritionally anyway. They're a starch (or a carbohydrate in the dietary charts) Likewise most people mistakenly believe corn is a veg; it's a grain, therefore a cereal (or like the potato, it's in the carbohydrate group along with breads)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do use regular corn syrup regularly (Karo brand is a staple in Southern cooking) For nearly a century it's been substituted in recipes that originally called for molasses. It has the more or less same viscosity and sweetness but it stands up better to the heat of cooking. Most common recipe I make is pecan pie. Come to think of it, I'm overdue baking one

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Sorry everybody just me being an idiot, trying to be funny or something, stupid thing to say really, ignore me I often miss interpret stuff take it too far & make a **** of myself.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry everybody just me being an idiot, trying to be funny or something, stupid thing to say really, ignore me I often miss interpret stuff take it too far & make a **** of myself.

We all do that (well, I do anyway) But I haven't seen it from you today. We're just comparing unclear data from various divergent sources.

May 15, 2017
Pilsdon
I use mainly natural ones. Like everyone, I prefer honey, but I can also add:
- syrup from blueberry
- maple syrup ( my love!)
- stevia
- licorice ( hyper sweet, I just add a few crumbs in my tea)
- syrup of dates
I guess it's much better than white sugar. Which is hidden EVERYWHERE. I try to prepare my own cakes, cookies, cocktails e.t.c with those above-mentioned replacements. They are more expensive, but health is priceless, isn't it? :cool:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Potatoes are vegetables. Like rhubarb.
Botanists consider fruit to be structures and accessory structures associated with sexual reporduction.
Tomatoes and cucumbers as examples.
A potato is a short, fat underground stem with lateral buds and aborted leaves ( the eye structures).
True potato fruits look like little tomatoes.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am made for sexual reproduction. Does that make me a fruit?

Back to topic: Remember, the body does not give a hoot if the sugar comes in the form of white sugar from Lyle & Tate, or an Organic, Fairtrade exotic fruit picked by virgins..
Or Agave, honey, whatever.

Suckrose a disaccarid is split into Glukose and Fruktose with the help of enzymes in the saliva, stomach and intestine.
Absorbed, transformed into Acetyl CoA that then goes intothe Krebs cycle. Called Citric Acid cycle too.

Potatoes are tubers. Storage to kickstart next years asexual propagation. Same DNA as the parent plant.
The seeds are sexual reproduction, a mix of DNA from the mother plant and another plant.

God created the humble potato so we could create Chips/fries and Vodka.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I qualified the definition as a botanical one.

To be sure, most people refer to a potato as a tuber. A tuber by definition is a short, fat, underground stem,
in terms of its morphogenetic origins.

The "Central Metabolic Pathway" in the cytoplasm of cells is exactly that.
You can stuff all sorts of sugars, carbohydrates into it, even amino acids stripped of their amino groups (to be discarded as urea in the Krebs Urea Cycle)

The Krebs Tricarboxylic Acid cycle can only eat 2 carbon Acetates from carbohydrates and from lipids/fats. Krebs was a busy boy.

Albert Lehninger's text: Biochemistry is/was the most popular biochemistry text on the planet.
There ought to be plenty of used copies floating around, the blue-cover, second edition is all you need to read.

A little closer to your kitchen and stomach is Harold McGee's text: On Food and Cooking. It's not a cook book but a dictionary of ingredients.
Not more than 800 pages. I highly recommend you all read it. I have read it all. Amazing detail about what we eat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good for you! I kept a few from away back into my undergraduate days: Pathology, Mycology and some others.
After 31 years gum-flapping as a professor, my office was quite cluttered with books, I didn't save more than a dozen.

I point out Lehninger as a text to own since it is considerably more accurate than dozens of others.
Any new biochemistry text, I'd look at the details supplied as characteristics of the 20 common amino acids in proteins.
If the author(s) fouled those up, I wouild wonder what else in the text was fundamentally wrong, as well. TOSS.

Time flies and even my kids point out the nuances of recent research to me.

Wine making also encouraged me to look at details of carbohydrate metabolism in those lovely little yeastie-beasties.
Using 25 x 36lb cases of California Zinfandel and a power crusher made me pay attention.

I have microscope slides of more than 300 different species of wood. Like some people collect stamps, I suppose.
That I kept, that has great reference value.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you want I could send you samples of our local woods. If you want!

Media is overflowing with totally false dietary assumptions and advice.
What makes me most angry is that some advice, specially in Vitamin and Mineral supplements, are not only wrong, but harmful.
For example, some people take large doses of Vit C, thinking it will boost their immune system. The body needs max 1.2 to 1.5 grams of Vit C a day.
People are enriching the sewers with Vit C, as the body gets rid of the excess through urine. The kidneys have to work harder.

People buy expensive sugar. Organic Blue Agave syrup is expensive the last time I looked.
Organic? Well, for a start, ALL agave plants are Organic.
Content? After heating - Glocose and Fructose. All agave juice is heated.
I prefer my Blue Agave syrup/juice in the form of Tequila.

People want to be healthy, and pay big money because they do not have the background education. Fooled by unscrupulous traders and companies

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For all the coffee that I drink in a day, a total of 2 tsp sugar is all.
For my 2 loaves of bread per week, I use 2 tbsp brown sugar.
All the carbs, the starches in the bread and pasta, potatoes, quinoa and rices,
they all must be broken into simple sugars for metabolism.

That's why I mentioned Lehninger's Biochemistry text book.
It is a volume of established facts, not the ravings of the unwashed and ill-informed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE