Stuff to do in the UK/France? Bushcrafter on Holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Hello all,

first holiday in the last 5 years!!! The better half and I are taking 2 1/2 weeks, during which we plan to go visit London and Paris (first time in Europe).

We're both History buffs so we'll do the whole tourist thing (she really wants to see the Tower, i'm more into the big museum covered in glass).... I'm just wondering wether there are any sites or HAVE TO see from the Bushcrafter point of view that are accessible round London?

Remember, I'm Canadian - so I'm not going to the UK to go camping, just wondering if there is any gear that I could buy while there, or places to see etc.
Examples of gear we don't have here: your Magazines/ books, all the northern european gear... The GB RM axe...

I'm petrified about not carrying a knife while I'm there. I've carried one every day every where all my life since I was 5: what if I need to cut something? like a sammich?

Cheers,

TCP

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I can't advise on any places to visit, but as for carrying a knife, a folding ( as opposed to a fixed blade) pocket / pen knife without a locking system & with a blade of 3 inches ( 7.5 cm) or less is perfectly legal to carry around with you in the U.K.
Beware of pickpockets in crowded places & keep your papers, passports & money in a safe place i.e. not in a backpack or handbag, easily accessable pockets etc.
Take the same precautions if you visit Paris too........Bon voyage.!

Last edited:

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi
Frankly, if I were with my wife in London and Paris for 2 1/2 weeks...I would be way too stoked to be thinking of anything except luuuurrrve....;)

I don't know what your budget is but when in Paris, and if you get the opportunity (and here's where you get to score some serious brownie points) try taking her for lunch here http://www.lecafeducommerce.com/ (reasonable prices)
and dinner here http://www.le-train-bleu.com/uk/index.php (re mortgage necessary :) ) Immortalised in Luc Beson's 'Nikita'....and 'Mr. Bean's Holiday' (lesser known, but the scene in the restaurant is classic brit humour) a simply staggering establishment. If you are staying in a hotel and you really do fancy a crack at this one, get the concierge to book as reservations can be hard to come by at short notice.

So, to recap...forget the bushcraft and set your sights on some serious romance!

Seriously, I wish you and your wife well and hope you have a great trip

ATB
Sack

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
The one thing you simply must do is ENJOY.

way too much to advise lol. although in London I love the natural history museum. Paris a wee bar called le grand pere if it is still there.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd recommend a visit to Sainte-Chapelle, go in the morning, it is quieter and the light is better. For Bushcrafty stuff, take a train ride to Blois and wander along the river side, lots to see and appreciate there and the town has enough history to keep most satisfied. Have fun. :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
If u go to London and u like history the imperial war museum is a must along with the tower of London
Now if u like well sinister things the London dungeons are pretty good also the madams wax works is also
Ausome. Now then there is the palace and what not.

Thecarotidpulse

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 23, 2009
Ottawa Canada
Awesome replies guys, thanks.

Yeah, I'm not really scheduling any time for Bushcraft - this is definitely a Tourist trip. Just wondering if there was anything that I HAD to see and needed to try and take some time off from the touristing...

Keep up the recommendations of food please!! Local knowlege beats tour guides every time... We both love holes in the wall.

Thx!!

TCP

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I live not far from Paris but lived in the city for 15 years. As a Canadian you make speak French (or at least enough to read a guide), in which case I'd suggest you get a copy of the 'Guide du Routard de Paris'. A small but excellent guide of all the sites, restaurants and hotels etc. You can pick these up in most bookshops or 'Maisons de la Presse'.
Cheers
Gareth

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Seriously, get out of London for at least one day.

London is nothing like the rest of the UK. Many Tourists seem to think that London is the be all and end all. it isnt!

If you want somewhere thats touristy, nearby to London and very historical i can certainly recommend Cambridge. Hire A Punt for a couple of hours (about £20 an hour if you get one from Scudimores slightly less if you get one from trinity college)

Feb 18, 2011
UK
Call me a country bumpkin if you like but I have tried and mostly been successful in avoiding London in my life. I've been there a couple of times but its just like all other cities but louder and brasher and in more of a rush than other cities. People all rushing everywhere and stuff not speaking and all in fear of each other and the environment around them.

I've been to Paris too, its just like London but in French and a bit more spread out. Make sure you check the prices on the window before you go into a bar or restaurant, some are normal prices some are crazy. I think we ended up spending about £30 on 2 single whiskeys and 1 bottle of Pepsi in one place (the only place we didn't check as we were in a hurry (cities!!))

I've been to Barcelona aswell, lived near there for a while. Its still horrific but somehow more charming.

Anyway the long and short is in my opinion is, the Tourist sites in these places are almost ruined by the fact that so many people want to see them in that conveyor belt fashion of tourist processing that develops (Jesus would weep if he saw the Sacré-Cœur)

There are a lot of cruddy hotels, some French hotels are comical. The TGV in france is amazing it goes at 180mph!! its very cheap but you must book a seat when you buy your ticket otherwise you have to stand or sit in the dividing sections which are not insulated or soundproofed and when another train comes the other way the combined speed is 360 miles an hour. Its very loud.

My advice would be to try and not gen up too much on things or plan and just allow yourself to go with what comes up at the moment. Maybe have a few things in mind and aim towards them but plan your route before you set off. Try no to look too obviously touristy (no holding out the map in the street etc) It's a shame to see some people doing taxi tours and snapping a photo of (insert major attraction here) out of the taxi window and then driving on.

May 16, 2011
Perth
i spend a couple of months in paris before i joined the forces spent the whole lime wandering the streets looking at all the buildings didnt end up going into any of the sites. I stayed in a wee hostel not far from the tower which i highly recommend the people theer will be more than happy to tell you anything you want to know they are very welcoming and the cheapest beer in paris (apparently). i spent one day playing basketball with an old local we didnt understand a word either of us said but it was a nice day.

hope you have a fantastic time there

as for london i cant say i like the place too much not my cup of tea too many people for me.

take care and enjoy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE