Strops: Hard backed or not? Preference or different application?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Strops: Hard backed or not? Preference or different application?

Is there a difference between strops mounted on a bit of wood or lain flat on a table to those that are clipped onto something and used in the air so to speak?

I've a good leather belt and wondered if it's necessary to lay it on the table when using or to clip it on to a branch and use it that way.

I'm sharpening a Mora if that makes any difference, no straight razors!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thickness of leather and backing affects the edge in different ways. For convex grinds I use 3mm veg tan glued to a hardwood offcut. The thickness of the leather allows the allows it to curl gently round the edge. It will work fine on a scandi, just be careful not to lift at the end of the stroke, and maybe use a bit less pressure.

For the smaller bevels found on pocket knives I have a Longstrider strop with thinner leather so it doesn't compress so much. I don't use any strops not glued to a backing material.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Nice65 was all over that one and I agree.
It's got to be hard backed. If you use a belt your going to end up with a blunt edge as the belt will bow. If the strop is hard backed the. You are in full control of the angle.

I use a longstrider strop, but you can stick any belt, bit of leather or even denim to some wood. You just need any material that will hold some stroping compound.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
My strops are always backed, usually on a nice piece of wood, and I only use cereal-box cardboard to hold the stropping compound. The cardboard is very thin, but also dense. It holds the rouge, but doesn't compress like leather does.

Obviously not as durable as leather. But it is easily replaced when necessary.

Last edited:

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
My strops are always backed, usually on a nice piece of wood, and I only use cereal-box cardboard to hold the stropping compound. The cardboard is very thin, but also dense. It holds the rouge, but doesn't compress like leather does.

Obviously not as durable as leather. But it is easily replaced when necessary.

Denim or cotton will give similar effect but will hold more compound and will not wear.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Very informative guys thanks. I've got some spare pallets knocking about so I'll glue my old leather belt onto some wood from that.

As for compound, is there a preferred choice for knives? all my blades have been over a 4,000 grit stone prior to this if that makes any difference.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Very informative guys thanks. I've got some spare pallets knocking about so I'll glue my old leather belt onto some wood from that.

As for compound, is there a preferred choice for knives? all my blades have been over a 4,000 grit stone prior to this if that makes any difference.

Pallet wood isn't very smooth, though it should work.

Better bet might be to visit your local joinery and see if they have any off cuts that have been through the thicknesser, find a bit of MDF, or wood flooring companies chuck out loads of composite flooring which is hard as nails. It's important your backing surface is flat.

Impact adhesive is the best bet for glueing, and I like Autosol as a compound, it's not too fine.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hanging strops are fine if you have the technique to use them, hard backed are easier to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE