Strops and Stropping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hello lovely people!

I just today received my Stewart Marsh Bushcraft knife, and very nice it is!! However, I'm thinking it's time to get a strop. I did have a quick search but was a bit overwhelmed with the results, so thought I'd ask my two Q's on a new thread...

1. Where can I buy a good, but cheap, strop? (I'm thinking maybe a tenner max, if that's possible??)

2. Do I need some kind of polishing agent to put on the strop??

Ok, sorry, three questions...

3. When stropping does one stroke ;) the bevel on the leather, with the bevel flat against the leather, if you know what I mean, or do you only have the edge touching the leather? I hope that makes sense. :eek:

Thankyou!! :)

Dan

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
When stropping you stroke the bevel on the leather, with the bevel flat against the leather. Stropping just makes sure you have a perfect edge symmetry, never stroke the edge along the strop.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Another vote for ClassicShaving. I got my straight razor, strop and Norton hone from there. The owner is very kind and helpful, and the prices are much better (mainly due to FX rate) than here in the UK.

Plain leather is fine - some people like to put diamond paste on it, but I like the idea of using it "raw". Strop so that it's edge trailing (i.e. opposite to honing), laying the bevel flat on the strop, and just using the weight of the knife as downward pressure. It will flatten and polish off the edge to perfection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE