Strange sight in the woods

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I went for a walk in Waveney Woods, near Fritton Lake today and found this strange and rather spooky sight up a tree.

These pics were taken with a camera phone and so they are a bit small.

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

The ribs ends had all been gnawed. I looked around but did not find anymore bones, the skull is missing. The thing is stuck in the fork between the trunk and branch, about 6 feet off the ground, the tree is a birch. The only thing I can think of to account for finding it up there is that the creature died on the ground and the tree grew and carried it up with it. From the size of the spine, I think its either a fox or perhaps a badger, but I am not sure.

What d you think?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd be astonished if that is what caused the skeleton to be there. I would have expected the bones to disarticulate as the soft tissues, the tendons and the like, decayed. I think that that would have happened long before the years it would take for the tree to grow.........no idea how the skeleton got up there other wise though.....maybe someone threw it up, or it was dragged up by a big cat :rolleyes:
Not the sort of thing you expect to trip over in a British woodland though :confused:
Sure it's a carnivore ? If it were a deer or a sheep or the like I could see someone putting it up a tree out of the way of scavengers until they got back for it, and maybe they didn't :confused:

Interesting to find out though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Would not have thought the tree growing and carrying it is possible, more likely its been put there.(perhaps its a cat and the fire brigade never got the call)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
This is about 2 feet long, the bit on the left, I think is the pelvis and the ribs at the other end. I really have no idea what it is, I thought it was too small to be a deer. Most peculiar though. Never thought of a BIG cat :rolleyes: Mind you, with the number of dogs there and the mountains of dog c**p everywhere and in piles of plastic bags full of dog poo:yuck: :yuck: (vile) I think any self respecting cat would run away! Just spooky seeing it up there.

Maybe its not as old as it looks, the tree is quite young, 12 to 14 ft tall, it seems to be quite solid, sort of not ready to fall apart yet.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'd be astonished if that is what caused the skeleton to be there. I would have expected the bones to disarticulate as the soft tissues, the tendons and the like, decayed. I think that that would have happened long before the years it would take for the tree to grow.........no idea how the skeleton got up there other wise though.....maybe someone threw it up, or it was dragged up by a big cat :rolleyes:
Not the sort of thing you expect to trip over in a British woodland though :confused:
Sure it's a carnivore ? If it were a deer or a sheep or the like I could see someone putting it up a tree out of the way of scavengers until they got back for it, and maybe they didn't :confused:

Interesting to find out though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

I have been known to throw manky corpses up into trees to stop my bloody dogs rolling on 'em.:(

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Funny I found a skull in a tree on sunday! It was in a wood I wondered into while tracking deer , I shouldn't have been in there (got carried away with the tracking) so was a bit spooky.
Small carnivore skull which I guess someone had stuck in the tree?!?!
Bit too Blair witch for me though.
Dave

thewanderer

Sep 24, 2008
stanley county durham
the skeletal remains could be of a small deer as seen to be no obvious sign of a long tail and bones appear large for a fox
as to being in tree Gamekeepers stalkers will often hang shot foxes from fences as a deterent to others but also a sign that area is hunted etc
but as a post i have just sent regarding a carcass of a deer i found apprx 8ft up a tree it could be sign of a cat

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I reckon it`s either dog or fox looking those piccies, I think a sheep pelvis has a wider gate. I could be wrong though, I usually am.

Given the fact that more foxes are likely to be killed in the countryside than dogs I`d go with fox. Somebody probably took a liking to the skull and slung the rest up there.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
An old forester I knew told of a fox that had a go at a mature stag cos it got too close to it's cubs and the stag rammed it with it's antlers and as it's head was thrown upwards it threw the fox (by now dead) up in the air and it landed on top of a hedge. Perhaps something similar happened here.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Theres no way those branches would ever take a big cat even if there was any in the uk ;) looks like the sort of thing i would do to stop my dogs making a B line for it every time i went for a walk in the woods with em!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE