Strange flower/tree bud I keep finding on the woodland floor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
No idea what these are, looks like a clover flower head but the stalk is thick and woody, I keep finding these in an area of my wood populated with oak, ash, hazel and field maple but only in one section of the woods. I wonder if the squirrels are responsible?
Any thoughts or ideas post away.
WP_20161018_17_09_58_Pro.jpg

EDIT see post "8" I have now identified this as an artichoke gall from an oak tree.

Last edited:

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
yeah looks like Knapweed; nasty plant ripping through our country and slowly choking native plants :( ..is it your own woodland? if so, might want to look into control methods asap if its a new occurrence (but I think its been established in the south for quite a while already?)

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Common Knapweed is a brilliant plant, native, and used by loads of insects and birds....becoming less 'common' because of farming methods and control.

D.B.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Common Knapweed is a brilliant plant, native, and used by loads of insects and birds....becoming less 'common' because of farming methods and control.

D.B.

@ Scarfel

DB is right here.
I think the invasive species you're thinking of is the giant hogweed, nasty stuff can blister your skin just by touching the stuff, and does indeed "choke" up other plants nearby mainly because of its sheer size.
Non native and invading at an alarming rate.

And I agree with everyone saying those look like knapweed heads.
I didn't think they dropped like that, maybe animal/human interaction is the reason for finding those like that.
But what animal? And why?

The plot thickens Dr. Watson...
:)

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
There are no knapweeds in this area, plenty of goosegrass, bluebells and wood anemones earlier on in the year.
If it is knapweed then squirrels would have to be collecting them from the nearby field and carrying them into the woods.
Another area I know contains knapweed but I've not seen any sign of the heads in the woods nearby.

Very strange

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE