Strange booze....Scotsmac

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Came accross a strange tipple this evening in Asda i thought might be worth a try. It's called Scotsmac not to be confused with (scots smak) like wot the neds do, lol. It is a drink made from malt whisky and blended wine (17.5%) vol. Looks like whisky and comes in a whisky shaped bottle. It only cost £3.28 and is definatley worth alot 'less'. OMG it was horrible, prob best suited to clearing blocked drains etc lol. I can drink almost anything but bloody ell, not nice at all.
Anyway, that's my rant for the day....now to get rid of the taste by drinking some proper alcohol that has at least been made in the glen of tranquility lol ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sounds like a rip off from the CrabbiesMac...green ginger ale and whiskey, which is actually okay. I just can't imagine wine and whiskey....shudder :yuck:

cheers,
Toddy

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
i've actually mixed in a bit o' the good stuff (sacrilidge i know) i only did it in the interest of science i tell thee :eek: , and it seems to be growing on me. Still not my first choice of a cheap bevvy though, especially considering the amount of good whisky you need to put in it to make it pallatable lol.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Scots mac is great.
When you do other stuff with it. I use it instead of yates aussie wine to make blobs with. It has made a great hot toddy when the right spices are added. Dont get me wrong it is not the greatest beverage on the planet but for £3 you cant argue. Also it is an aquired taste that grows on you when you have no cash but want something drinkable. I am going to shut up now because Im sounding like an alcoholic.:eek:
Greg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
My personal opinion is that I have no idea why anyone would pollute whisky (with or without the 'e'). If you want it on the rocks eat the ice first and savour the whisky after - or use it as a pain-killer when you suddenly find out that you've got sensitive teeth :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm,

As a whisky freak (and also a lover of good whiskey I might add), I do think that a splash of water or even a cube or two of ice if thats your thing can add to the flavours and bring out some of the more subtle notes. Particulalry if we are discussing cask strength whisky then a dash of good still mineral water is really needed or all you get is numb taste buds.

I'm not talking about drowning whisky here, just adding a small amount of pure water. Traditionally it would always have been drunk this way rather than sold "pre-watered" at 40% ABV

Red

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
That's the strange thing - for me anyway, I found (I can't drink at all any more :( ) that watering it down destroyed the flavours. But then I regularly eat raw chillie as if it were carrot (without the dreaded after effects) - :dunno: just me I guess.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
My tight fisted miserable old git of an uncle used to go first footing with a bottle of Scotsmac. He used to have a hip flask of 12 year old malt in his inside pocket which he'd craftily take the odd swig from when he thought nobody was looking. He didn't get invited to many new year parties.

I used to drink the stuff when I was pre-pub age. I thought it was the dog's doodads at the time because I have a liking for a sweet drink. Then I discovered mead and never touched Scotsmac again. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Eric

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've drunk Scotsmac and although I lived to tell the tale I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

If you're skint go to Lidl and get one of their aged whiskeys. They'll never make it onto the whiskey snobs list of excellent brews but, on a budget, they are quite palatable.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Mead? Uffda - as the neighbors say. It can make you strip nekkid and charge into battle swinging a battle axe! And also make you wish you had died in that battle the next morning from the hang-over!

Jack Daniels? Good for swillin', but not much more. The best part of it is the media hype. Better to go with Old Crow or 10 High - and cheaper.

Now, sippin a little Old Overcoat (local nickname - actually Old Overholt Rye Whiskey), that can lead to some quality lounging times.

A few months ago, I was working a trade out - some flint strikers for a nice local single malt from the Highlands. But then we ran into that ... no export ... *$^#%@ stuff! Not even a wee bottle for a dear old friend across the pond! What kind of commy pinko conspiracy is this?

Must be time to go drown my sorrow with some Black Seal dark rum.

Mikey - listening to the rumble of the engine that will be taking the local load of 'shine over to Chi-Town - out here in the Hinterlands

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I'm sure many a Glaswegian tramp would give one of their remaining eye teeth for a fortifying bottle of 'Scotsmac' first thing on a Monday morning.................

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
Yeah i saw bottle of this in morrisons today "a blend of english wine and scotish whiskey" well there you go, english and scots involved it's bound to be a bit off lol ;) i thought about getting a bottle to try as at £3 you can't really go wrong, then noticed the mead next to it for about the same price and thought i'll have that instead :D thankfully i don't suffer hangovers (yet)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
The mead form Morrisons is actually quite nice, one of my favourite things to take to the woods for a night. Just a pity they don't do litre bottles lol ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I believe the preferred drink is Buckfast tonic wine....made by monks in England and consumed in vast quantities by the underaged or impoverished :rolleyes: It seems it's more readily available, and cheaper, than meths.

cheers,
Toddy

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I believe the preferred drink is Buckfast tonic wine....made by monks in England and consumed in vast quantities by the underaged or impoverished :rolleyes: It seems it's more readily available, and cheaper, than meths.

cheers,
Toddy

You kidding...lol

Bucky is anywhere up to £6 a bottle these days lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE