Stove options for tents - a compilation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
we used the stove in a tentipi varrie 9. The worst temperature experienced with it was - 10 C and very chilly windy wheather. The stove easily heated it up to 20 to 22 C inside( but the thing was red glowing). That was in the Ardennes (Belgium) 2 years ago . A month later we camped in dry freezing wheather at -5 to -6 C
and that was a lot more comfortable than before.I added every 50 minutes a piece of wood to keep the temperature nice.The stove can contain rather big peaces of wood. Important is also which wood you use;Oak f.i. was doing very well.
Important in my opinion are also the round openings on top. When the temperatures outside are not that low, you don't need to heat that much and you can remove the cover to cook. I can put two pots on top and cooking goes very well.Sometimes I camp on my own near a river and have to carry the stove for some distance , so I wouldn't like to carry a load of 25 kg or more. Anyway this stove is ok for not to cold climates. In Canada I would rather use one of those bigger fourdogs stoves

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Blinkin'eck - I've gone and ordered a stove!:eek:
I phoned Don at Fourdog using http://www.05pence.co.uk/ and before you know it I've got a twodog on order!
He said it would be big enough and he is going to sort me out with a longer pipe and a sleeve for the tentipi.
Only downside is that he can only currently ship using airmail which is about the same price as the stove :banghead:

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Cheers
Alex

:D What I'm really hoping is that someone says...
"you haven't got XXXXX on your list - it's £150, attractive, airtight, portable, rustproof, has a roll-up chimney and is made in the UK"

I guess the current closest to that is the Windy Smithy Louis and the Fourdog Two Dog at the moment.
Personally I'm not bothered by weight for this purchase but others might find it very important.

from a link below/above (depends on your view settings :D )

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/cstove.html

well its got a roll up chimney :D :D :D

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Blinkin'eck - I've gone and ordered a stove!:eek:
I phoned Don at Fourdog using http://www.05pence.co.uk/ and before you know it I've got a twodog on order!
He said it would be big enough and he is going to sort me out with a longer pipe and a sleeve for the tentipi.
Only downside is that he can only currently ship using airmail which is about the same price as the stove :banghead:

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Cheers
Alex

Well - that's that - my order never got sent from Fourdog, so I've just cancelled as I needed the stove for the end of Nov which looked unlikely.
So back to the drawing board - I don't really know which one was my second favourite. Maybe still one of the heavyweight ones.

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
why don't you contact Moosecamp in Holland or Campfirestove in Germany. I used my campfirestove last week for 4 days and the thing worked perfectly as usual. the one from Helsport looks good as wel, also non corrosive steel. the four dogs stove is good,but I didn't buy it because of the hassle, the transport costs and the time to get it; Remember that you have to pay VAT on the price and the tranport cost on anything coming from the states. Got my stove about 1 week after I paid it and used it a lot since

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
Hi all, just wondering how you're all getting on with your stoves ? I've a Tentipi 7 myself. I got a heatpal 7100 with it when first purchasing but found it wasn't up to the job of keeping the tent cosy, although it certainly raised the temp a few degrees.

I've since been using a firebox and this is ok bar the smoke problems. Eg, I was out the other night and the wind kept swirling around from all sorts of random directions so the tipi kept filling up every five minutes or so and I got totally fed up with opening this vent and closing that one. As a result I'm now looking into getting a proper stove hence my interest in this excellent thread.

Right now I'm at this stage. Firstly, I've got a largish pump cylinder which I'm considering trying to hack into a stove to see how it works out. If that doesn't go well I've brought my shopping list down to either a Four Dog or a Bison stove.

However, searching around on Ebay I've just found the following and am wondering if anyone else has ever tried them or what you think. To me at least it seems like it may just do the trick...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALASKA-HEATER-A...ryZ66905QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a thread with some info on them to be found here...
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8541078231/m/2291015422/p/1

Also, almost unrelated but just out sheer fyi, do a google search for DREO-TN-74-24 and check out the pdf it finds (there's only a single result). Very interesting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
These are popular in the states, not got one myself but 'know a man who has' and he heats a large home workshop without problem.

These burners are cheap in the states and so are the stoves they match, but the shipping costs are very very high:(

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
These are popular in the states, not got one myself but 'know a man who has' and he heats a large home workshop without problem.

These burners are cheap in the states and so are the stoves they match, but the shipping costs are very very high:(

(Hope this isn't a duplicate, my browser crashed trying to post first time) A workshop ? Yikes, the tipi should be plenty warm then :D I've gone ahead and ordered one as it ain't too bad, 85 US dollars shipping to Ireland or the UK, that's pretty good with the current rates - cost me 77 euros in total.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Well I've received my stove at last.
A Fourdog Titanium Ultra-light II with folding legs. It took about 3 months to arrive from ordering but it looks good. I'll fire her up in the tipi this weekend and report back.
The weight is really impressive though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE