Stove fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Mmmm made a poor choice bought some BBQ lighter fluid thinking it might be good for either the Trangia or or something just tried it out in my old red bull stove and well it's not very good glad I didn't put it in the Trangia burner.......now what do I do with it apart from use it on the BBQ??
Would it be ok in my MSR Whisperlite !??

Sent from somewhere?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I wouldn't put it into my Nova which is a multi-fuel stove and is pretty good at burning most things. I wouldn't trust it not to gum up the pipes and jets and whilst my stove is fully serviceable it's a nuisance to have to do so. I wouldn't trust the fuel to burn clean or evenly either.

I'd use it to light the barbecue.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
The best stuff is meths for the trangia, whisper lite, unleaded or panel wipe but if you are feeling generous Coleman fuel!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
[QUOTE=cranmere;1531525]I wouldn't put it into my Nova which is a multi-fuel stove and is pretty good at burning most things. I wouldn't trust it not to gum up the pipes and jets and whilst my stove is fully serviceable it's a nuisance to have to do so. I wouldn't trust the fuel to burn clean or evenly either.

I'd use it to light the barbecue.[/QUOTE]

I would worry more about parrafin with dye, deisel with detergent in it before anything in barbecue lighter fluid. But then again there is barbecue lighter fluid and barbecue lighter fluid, depends how well it is refined. Surgical spirits alcohol has oil added, meths has the dye, and bioethanol I believe has detergent added.if only there where somewhere you could buy pure unadulterated alcohol.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
The best stuff is meths for the trangia, whisper lite, unleaded or panel wipe but if you are feeling generous Coleman fuel!

That's my thoughts after seeing this stuff burn, I thought I had picked up the same stuff as people get from B&Q but it seems not...
For the amount of use they all get then it's not too much of a hardship or costly to get the right fuel with a bit of shopping around I think and probably safer 😉👍

Sent from somewhere?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sell it. Turn it in as haz waste. Whatever.

I don't use it to light the BBQ; it's toxic. Instead use old newspaper, semi-soaked in old frying oil, under one of these:

Oily newspaper in the bottom chamber, charcoal in the top. once the charcoal's red hot, pour in into the BBQ grill.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Bio ethanol is just an eco friendly name for denatured alcohol. Meths (methylated spirits) is an archaic name for denatured alcohol, because they used to denature the alcohol by adding nearly 5% methanol. Nowadays the ethyl alcohol is denatured by adding about 5% of other alcohols and ketones plus a tiny amount of an extremely bitter tasting compound so that you will discouraged from drinking it. Denatured alcohol is the type of fuel for which the Trangia is designed. The MSR stoves use Coleman fuel or equivalent such as petrol/gasoline/ panel wipe. The B&Q lighter fluid is probably of this type, but look at the label, the contents will be stated. Santaman's suggestion of using a chimney starter is probably by far the best method of getting a charcoal grill started.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ok and bio ethanol is ok in a trangia ? Or msr ??

Sent from somewhere?

Ethanol/meths for the Trangia not the MSR. Methanol burns fine in the Trangia too. Most BBQ fuel is paraffin (certainly Wilko brand and the fuel sold in B&M) and in the past have bought loads of it when reduced in Wilkinsons. Burns very well in old Primus stoves and my Nova's and Omnifuels.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Surely the bio bit comes from how it's produced?

Strictly correct. However, Ethanol has been produced by the same fermentation and distillation processes for,what, thousands of years. Calling it "Bio Ethanol" is just marketing speak to give it a bit of cache in the current time. Sounds so much more responsible than "denatured alcohol". I've read some of the guff on Bio Ethanol sites, and take it from one who spent a good deal of his professional life writing advertising copy, this is what we call polishing a turd.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE